PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to say hello

Fishin dude
11-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Hi,
I have heard this is a great site for discus info. I have some pet store discus from two different sources. They seem to be eating well, but the growth rate seems slow.
I keep the tanks( 2 discus tanks) at 85 f and ph of 7. The city water is on the soft side.
I feed only brine shrimp, blood worms, and a good quality veggie flake.
Water changes in the morning and evening @ 25% each.
Here is my question......What parameters will create the optimum growth rate?
Thank you for any help!
Dawson

bmrin1
11-25-2002, 12:23 PM
Dawson,
Your water parameters are in good shape, ph is good and you say that water is soft. Just keep up with the water changes and I would add some more protein to your diet. Add some beefheart or another flake like ocean nutrition formula 1 or brine shrimp plus, or you could add some tetra bits. There are many choices, They need the protein. You may also have some fish that will never meet their potential. Not trying to be mean, but lfs fish have a bad reputation for being stunted and from less than ideal conditions in the store.
Post some pics.
Glad to see you here.
Brian

Fishin dude
11-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Brian,
Thank you for the quick response :D
I have heard the pellets can swell in a discus and cause bloat and possibly kill it. I heard the same about the beef heart.....or possibility of internal bacteria infection......
Maybe you are right about lfs discus.....the eyes do seem a little large compared to the body.....out in the country I do not have much choice.
One tank is a 50 and the other is a 29....I have a total of 6 discus, all are a striated pattern(I just call them red turquoise.)
I have another tank cycling(50 gal).....Could you recommend someone with a good reputation who can ship to me. The closest airport is about a 2 and a half hour drive.
Dawson :-\

keno
11-25-2002, 01:08 PM
Hey Dawson, welcome to the board!! I would feed a much more varied diet to get optimal growth. I feed the following

Live california blk worms
frozen hiakari bloodworms
tetra color bits
ocean nutrition f1 flake
f2 flake
live brine shrimp(when i can get them).

As far as a breeder Cary from great lakes discus is the best as far as Im concerned.

Ken

roger
11-25-2002, 02:33 PM
I couldnt say much about making your fish grow bigger/faster since there are a ton of variables that you havent talked about. Suffice to say since you have LFS fish its really hard to tell how old the fish are and if they got good treatment as babies. A good quality food or combination of foods should get your fish to their max size. Water quality is the other factor to consider and its really up to you how often you change the water and clean the tanks. Though from the sounds of things you are doing a good job of that already.

Before you start talking about a drive to the airport for fish you may want to let us in on where you live. You might be living next door to one of those fine breeders already. Im planning a full day roadtrip to Miami to pick up fish from http://www.wattleydiscus.com. Though I did just 6 fish from Cary at http://www.greatlakesdiscus.com ..

Fishin dude
11-25-2002, 02:40 PM
Ken,
Thanks :D I can't beleive all the great input in such a short time!
The live black worms are a mess, aren't they? My discus are in bare bottom tanks so I guess it would be OK.
The more I think about it, I may have some inferior stock or they just didn't get a good start.
I have heard about 6-7 inch discus but have never seen any.....
Most of my experience is with big obnoxious fish like Oscars and Red Devils....they will eat anything! :lickin:
After my newest tank settles in I would like to hook up with a reputable discus keeper. Thanks again Ken
Dawson

Fishin dude
11-25-2002, 02:59 PM
Roger,
I live in Tn. and most folks her do not know what a discus is....no knock to southern folks ;)I guess they would rather go fishin than look at them in a tank....I am an avid fisherman also 8)
I have a discus book written by Jack Wattley.
Reading the posts, I haven't read much feedback on his stock.
I have seen posts about Cary and they are positive. Maybe I should give both a call.
I wouldn't mind breeding discus in the future. It is so neat to see the fry on the backs of the parents. :rolleyes:
Dawson

Wolf
11-25-2002, 03:20 PM
Hi. I love to fish also mostly for bass down here in Texas. I caught some good whites and hybrid stripers yesterday. Boy do those fight good. You'd be suprised how many people like discus. They just don't know it yet :)

hunterbeav
11-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the forum Dawson :)

roger
11-25-2002, 03:47 PM
Depending on where in TN you live and how long a drive your willing to endure there might be a few people you can get to in an afternoons drive. Check out the breeder section of the board, you might get lucky.

I like to fish as well, Ill try and post a pic of the pond/lake that I live on. Gar, large mouth bass, pike, crappie in the lake.

Not to slight anyone, but I really only remember 3 breeders being mentioned, GLD, Wattley and RMD. Though I do have a few fish from Tim at http://www.usdiscus.com . They are a mixed bag of fish, about 1/2 of them are high quality and the other 1/2 are a bit on the football side. Both groups though have been hardy and have started to try and breed. So I would feel comfortable recommending any one of those 4 for you to get fish from.

Fishin dude
11-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Wolf,
I prefer to fish for Large mouth bass....you call them "Big Mouth" in TX since everything is Big there ;D
I fish in TN and sneek down to Ga. when they are bitin :thumbsup:
I think you are right about the people liking discus, but not knowing it :blockhead:
Dawson

keno
11-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Hey Dawson, I live in Georgia and love to fish also/ ;D ;D ;D I think u can get fed ex from some of the breeders. I have always used delta dash and thats worked out great but I dont live 2.5 hours from an airport like you. I have some fish from Wattleys also and from Cary as well as a few others around the counrty. IM me if you want and Ill tell u straight up. my 1st call is always to Cary though ;D ;D

Where in GA do you like to fish? I have a boat on Allatoona but the fishing isnt all that good there.

Ken

Fishin dude
11-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Ken,
I caught a 7 pounder in a small pond near Blue Ridge lake in Ga. Usually the size is 1-2 lbs.
Is ther a such thing as "Lunker Discus"? :book:
Dawson

roger
11-25-2002, 05:27 PM
I think you could call the older discus "lunker discus" since from most people say they stop getting bigger in the round section and instead just start getting thicker.

Ive never had a fish long enough to tell so I look forward to seeing if thats true.

Ryan
11-25-2002, 05:35 PM
Dawson,

Do you live any closer to a FedEx office than an airport? I am about a 90 minute drive from the airport here in Florida, but there's a FedEx location about 40 minutes from my house, and they will hold a package for you to pick up at the location if you don't want to wait on a delivery truck (this is what I do, so they don't have to be tossed around in the back of a delivery truck all afternoon)... Most breeders will ship FedEx when the weather allows it, that's a good alternative to airport counter-to-counter. Then again, if you don't live near a FedEx, we're right back to square one :)

Ryan

DarkDiscus
11-25-2002, 05:54 PM
Dawson,

I used to keep oscars and red devils myself. I always enjoyed the intelligence and "personality" they seemed to exhibit.

Discus have all of that and more!

Welcome to the board!

John

Fishin dude
11-25-2002, 06:09 PM
Ryan,
Thanks for the input.
Fed-ex is closer, but cart b4 the horse, so to speak. Seems I have found the correct forum for info and more :D
My next step is to talk with the people who sell the discus.
My main concern is to purchase discus with potential.
You guys have me pumped up like a penny ballon! :balloon:
Thanks again!
Dawson

11-25-2002, 06:48 PM
Dawson... Welcome to Simply... :wave:..

Wednesday I will be picking up some of Cary's fish from the Fed Ex station nearest to my house (an hour away). All I did was contact Fed Ex and they told me of the nearest station, I then gave Cary the instructions. He is gunna handle it on his end. Am excited and nervous both, as this will be my first shipment.

Welcome again!!!

Julz

Pick
11-25-2002, 06:55 PM
Welcome Dawson!,

I live in FL about 20 miles from the "Red Neck Riviera" - most people know it as the Gulf of Mexico - and 20 miles from the AL state line. People around here think a discus is a part off of a 49 Ford.

TC

April
11-25-2002, 08:19 PM
Dawson. welcome. and yes...you have been great advice on great breeders.
if you go to the locator and event section toward the bottom of the forum..you may find some people from tennessee. not sure though.,
but yes....they can do fed-ex. or...just make a drive out of it and go get them from the airport. worth the 5 hours of driving. ;D you will be amazed at the health and quality of the fish and also the breeders are a great help to customers if they need advice. you not only get nice fish you also gain a good friend.

redlines
11-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Dawson,

Welcome to simply!

As for feeding high protein and growing up big fish nothing beats live Blackworms! I also feed Beefheart, Blood Worms, Mysis Shrimp, ON1 Flake & Tetrabits too. Always presoak those Tetrabits or they will cause bloat.
Rinse those Black worms daily and they stay real clean and your tank will also be much cleaner feeding the live worms vs anything else.

As far as Breeders go I would highly recommend CARY at Great Lakes Discus & MIKE at A Discus Dream. Just click on their banners on this website.

Regards,

Andy

DarkDiscus
11-26-2002, 10:06 AM
Dawson,

Living in Florida (and yes I am aware that FL is a BIG state!) I would consider taking a drive to Wattley's hatchery in Miami and checking out the fish there or, if you like the wild fish, talking to Jerry Baer and asking him to point you in the right direction for great wilds!

John