PDA

View Full Version : Introductions are in order..

ChloroPhil
11-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Hi folks!

My name is Phil, I live in Charlotte, NC. I'm a teacher turning full time aquarium designer/maintainer and am an avid afficianado of planted aquaria. I've kept planted tanks for the past five years and have loved every minute of it. My primary interest is in keeping biotope aquariums but I've been known to have a more decorative tank now and then too.

Lately I've been thinking of keeping some discus and was told that this is *the* place to be for discus info. I've already read a bunch of posts and am going to love the whole Planted vs. Bare Bottom rivalry. I believe strongly in keeping planted aquaria..:)

I look forward to a long association with y'all and to learning a lot in the process and would like to apologize in advance if I seem "lectury" at times...it's the teacher coming out in me.

Best,
Phil

Ralph
11-25-2002, 03:29 PM
Hi Phil,
I don't remember a newbie having so many posts on their first day!
Welcome to Simply and welcome to the planted section.
I'm not sure that you want to get into the whole "BB vs. PT" thing. It's not the key to popularity around here, at least on the planted tank side. There are some people here that won't "talk" to me because of the things I've said.
There is a lot of good info here though (I spent a month reading posts before I got my first discus, and I barely scratched the surface) and some real nice people that will go out of their way to help you if they can.
I've got a thing for biotopes too and my next tank is going to be an attempt at making a discus biotope. There are some problems though, maybe you can help.
I'm going to read all your posts now, glad to have you here.

PS I spent a week in Charlotte in the 80's. Great place!

Don_Lee
11-25-2002, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the board Phil! Sounds like you will be a great source of knowledge for all of us, great to have you here.

Don

ChloroPhil
11-25-2002, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I promise to play nice and to do my homework before taking the plunge. I'm moving in June so I'm forced to wait until then. :) Oh, and I have no life which helps keep the post counts high...LOL

EthanCote.com
11-25-2002, 05:54 PM
Hey Phil,

Welcome to the "Darkside" (that is how us planted folks are referred to as around here)!!. Glad to have new blood to the planted side. Your knowledge will indeed be a great asset to the collective. Perhaps you can help convert a few BB tanksters to our side. ;D

Cheers,

Chi.

dm
11-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Welcome Phil. I'm sure you will like it here besides finding a lot of useful information. There are a lot of really knowledgable people here that love to help others. Just be careful not to wander too far from the planted side alone. If a few of those BB people get you cornered your going to be in big trouble.

ChloroPhil
11-25-2002, 08:10 PM
I've already learned a few things I didn't know before and can't wait for more! I hope I can be of some assistance in the future and am *securely* in the dark side. There are only two reasons for to have a non-planted tank.

1: Hospital/Grow Out tank.
2. It's broken. Then again, if it can still hold dirt and some water why aren't you growing out cuttings in it? :)

EthanCote.com
11-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Spoken like a true Dark Master.

Looks like the force is strong in dis one ;D

Cheers,

Chi.