PDA

View Full Version : 7-inch Blue Bulldog Discus at aquabid

lub0
11-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Nice joke at aquabid:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwdiscus&1038340784

EthanCote.com
11-26-2002, 12:41 PM
I have to admit that is funny, but on the other hand, I'm totally against it.

Reason being, if we are to take Aquabid seriously, this has to stop. I have never dealt with them, but with things like that, it makes me wonder about the policy and backbone of Aquabid. In short, how trustworthy would it be?

Just my two cents. And yes, I do have a sense of humour but there is a time and place for everything.

Cheers,

Chi.

roger
11-26-2002, 12:55 PM
I have seen this several times and each time it just annoys me.

If you dont like it then email aquabid and let them know about it.

This is a joke that has the potential to ruine things for people selling and people buying.

11-26-2002, 01:28 PM
I guess I disagree. To me it shows how ludicrous some of the Aquabid fish descriptions are... I doubt I have to name any. If you're going to sell a fish, and especially if you do it regularly as a source of business, then you owe it to the market to make an effort to give the fish a correct and reasonable name. It isn't acceptable (to me at least) to just say, "hey that's the name the breeder gave to the fish". Take a look at the fish or the parents, if it's a Red Turq then call it a Red Turq. If the fish are too young to tell & you can't see the parents then you're passing on a fish with a lofty description that you can't support with any evidence available to you.

Anand may be ticking off a lot of people with these ridiculous items but I am more ticked off at the dishonest marketing of plain jane Discus being sold with impressive sounding names by the supposedly reputable distributors. I assume that everyone that reads Anand's items up for bid knows that they are a joke and that they don't accurately depict the fish in question... I don't think the same can be said for some of the "real" items up for bid.

Dave

11-26-2002, 02:01 PM
I'm with DaveC

roger
11-26-2002, 02:27 PM
I would agree that its annoying to see someone asking $300 for a fish that might be worth $50. Though if you really want to stick it to them then why not sell fish at a bargin price.

There has to be several people here who have a bunch of fry and no idea of how to get rid of them. I for one would love to see someone put up 2.5" fish at $10 each plus shipping. That would be a much more effective way of doing things than a bogus auction that can harm aquabid itself.

We could take a page out of Bruces (majestic discus or something) tactics. Periodically run an auction cheap that has the payment going to simplydiscus. A two birds with one stone approach.

Peace
Roger

11-26-2002, 02:44 PM
I would agree that its annoying to see someone asking $300 for a fish that might be worth $50.

Actually I find it equally annoying to see a $50 fish being sold for $50 but described as if it were some rare or exotic fish. It's confusing to the newcomer to the hobby. The name game is ridiculous enough without some of the crazy names that appear on Aquabid. I know I don't have to read Aquabid, nor do I have to buy fish there. I do find it's interesting to scan the bids to see who's selling what and for what price. I'm not arguing the prices that are being charged, just the silly names that are attached to the fish. The market operates on the "buyer beware" philosophy. Anand's posts are an attempt to point out that the buyer should also "be aware" that there is a lot of crappy fish with high-falooting names being offered. It's easier to beware when you know that there is danger nearby. So in my opinion his items provide a service, if for no other reason then to make the bidders consider each item more closely.

The problem with a hobbyist offering their fish for sale is that few hobbyists have the experience or necessary equipment to safely ship fish.

Dave

EthanCote.com
11-26-2002, 02:59 PM
I totally agree with you Dave...but....

It is hard enuff to weed your way throught Aquabid to find reputable breeders/exporters vs the dishonest marketers, without the need for such "poke fun at Aquabid" auctions.

This does nothing but makes jokes out of Aquabid and lower the overall quality of the site and its intended mission. Perhaps the site is a joke but since I have no dealing with them, I can't comment on it. However, it is a site nonetheless that provides a service and should be respected. And no, this is not an attack on anyone, but just my two cents. And nope, I do not work for Aquabid. ;D

I guess the lesson of the day is, buyer beware.

An alternative to the auction is why not buy from reputable breeders such as Cary or Mike? This way you are quaranteed quality Discus at a reasonable price.

On a bright note, Roger might be getting his wish shortly. Simply is just tuning up its auction software. I'm sure we all can benefit greatly out of it as well as the Simply site itself. Looking forward to our internal auction.

Cheers,

Chi.

roger
11-26-2002, 03:07 PM
All things being equal I think we have enough hobbiests who do know how to ship fish (hell Ive recieved a few myself) that we could get around this problem.

Maybe this is something that we (simply discus members and the discus community) should work on trying to fix instead of using the current method. IMO The current method that anand is using reminds me of adding more spam to the fire.

11-26-2002, 03:17 PM
I'm with DaveC again.

aloha_discus
11-26-2002, 03:18 PM
Whine Whine Whine, if you dont know dont bid, if you dont like dont bid. if the product is of poor strain again dont bid. Go whine somewhere else. >:(

roger
11-26-2002, 03:27 PM
A little bit of follow up here ..

I think we can all agree that some people on aquabid are trying to sell fish at a high a price as possible. In doing so they change the name of the fish to make it sound impressive.

We can also probably agree that these people run the risk of hurting the community as a whole.

We might even agree that we can and should come up with a way to do something about it.

What we seem to have problems with is the method here.

Here is a proposal that I put out to the group as a whole.

Most of us are trying to deal with good quality fish so any fish that breed are hopefully of good quality.
If you have a surplus of fish we can donate them to simplydiscus. The person doing the donating can decide if shipping is an option or not.
At that point the donated fish can be acutioned off locally or on aquabid.
I hate seeing local pickup only auctions, but if thats as good as it gets then thats it.

This I think might give us enough coverage along with giving us a chance to educate the buyers.

Example auction

Subject: 1 Pidgeon Blood cross
Starting bid: 5$
Description: This auction is for a 1 PB cross with a RSG with up to 20 available at winning price. Local dilevery only.
This fish is AKA "grand pbrsg", "grand master" or any other name.

aloha_discus
11-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Aloha, JUST KIDDING lol ;D ;D

EthanCote.com
11-26-2002, 03:35 PM
hehe Al, Ryan and moderators,

I hope we didn't stir up any bee nest. Guess this is something to consider when setting up the new bidding software. I'm sure you guys will do a great job since it appears there will be more background info on the person doing the selling.

;D

Cheers,

Chi.

roger
11-26-2002, 03:44 PM
On a slightly different side note.

Do we have anything here that would give a novice a way to tell what type of discus are what. Things like what it takes to make a panda what other names is it known by, thins like that.

When/If I ever have babies to sell it would be nice to have all that information available to post with the auction.

Peace,
Roger

EthanCote.com
11-26-2002, 03:48 PM
Hey Roger,

I recalled reading a post that consist of creating a website for such matter. Not sure how the site is coming along. Perhaps someone with more details can update us.

Cheers,

Chi.

korbi_doc
11-26-2002, 04:40 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Hey guys, please don't hit me but I thought it was pretty clever & definitely a joke. Anyone seeing it would realize it, & I do not think it affects the quality of Aquabid as an auction at all. I've purchased fish via Aquabid successfully, esp my Cory catfish & wouldn't be at all put off by a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it is buyer beware, & many do learn & then buy fish thru forum breeders.

LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JMO, Dottie ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

11-26-2002, 05:38 PM
hey,
that link didn't work for me...it just took me to the discus section. Can someone explain what the deal was?

roger
11-26-2002, 06:06 PM
That link worked earlier so my guess is someone yanked the auction.

lub0
11-26-2002, 06:12 PM
The auction ends, thats why.

Lub0

11-26-2002, 06:45 PM
I've been to Anand's fishroom and believe me, he is a very serious discus keeper. He has absolutely perfect fish and won't keep anything less. Spotless tanks, and a hell of a lot of them, great pairs..he know's his discus. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I believe he is like me in that he thinks discus are a bit over hyped and a bit overpriced as well. He's a good guy and I"m sure means no harm.

lub0
11-26-2002, 07:00 PM
I really like the joke and I wish Anand to post the picture here ;)

Lub0

keno
11-26-2002, 07:43 PM
lub, you didnt miss much, it wasnt that funny imho. If people are foollish enough to pay those kind of prices for "mated pairs" then 50% of the blame is with them. If I was the owner of an established bus like aquabid and some joker put this up I woiuld be a little p-od.

The guy must be chief of discus police.

Ken

John_Nicholson
11-26-2002, 07:59 PM
It amazes me how so many people have no sense of humor. First Anand was making a joke. I doubt the the owner of aquabid is really po'ed. Him and Anand are friends. Anand has great fish. he has culled fish that most people would love to have. He gets tired of importers bringing over these cheap low quality fish, hanging some fancy name on them, and then scamming money from these poor people that don't know. That is all it was. The world will not quit spinning. The sky will not begin to fall. World peace (thats a joke in itself) has not been disturbed......it was a joke.

-john

Don_Lee
11-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Perhaps enough has been said about this issue? Let's not have things get hostile, probably nuff said here IMO.

Don ;D

Denny
11-26-2002, 08:20 PM
john,

i just noticed your gender icon---is there something you aren't telling us?

j.k &l.o.l

;D ;D ;D ;D

denny

Kevin
11-26-2002, 09:41 PM
Question. Will this blue bulldog discus keep the high school kids out of the yard? Does it shed much? Kibble or bits as it's favorite food? Is seven inches the size at eight weeks? Will it drool on the carpet? Chew my chicken slippers? I will start the bidding at thirty dollars if they will let us know if it is paper trained. Does it get along with the chiuahua? Intresting site, but are their fish any good? I have enclosed a picture of the beloved chicken slippers. Wouldn't want anything to happen to those babies. Bidding on the chicken slippers starts at, $100.00 K.

keno
11-26-2002, 10:13 PM
I would like to start the bidding, but just one question, have the slippers been used? I would hate to bid and find out these arent in "perfect shape" ;D ;D ;D Just kidding. I like a good joke just like the next guy. Thanks John

Ken :P

jim_shedden
11-26-2002, 11:16 PM
Nice shape.......small eyes..lol

JIm

11-27-2002, 12:08 AM
Heck yea...what John N said!! Happy Thanksgiving and for those who don't have Thanksgiving, have a great week as well. For those without a sense of humor, you have a great week/holiday too. That's all for me tonight. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to
tip your waitress. Drive safely.

brewmaster15
11-27-2002, 01:11 AM
Hi all,
I don't see anything really wrong with what Anand did. He's free to post any kinds of posts on aqua bid he wants to. Like some of the others here, I know what his intent was, and can guess well enough who some of the targets were. everyone has there own way of doing things.

I personally have a serious problem with any name given to a discus that is not a true breeding strain. If I cross a wild green with a blue snake skin I call it a

wild green X blue snake skin

Its not an Amazonian Ultra Green Blue Devil . AS Hobbyist and breeders If we are selling what we breed we all have a responsibility to call these fish what they are, to randomly assign names for something bred ( whether it looks good or is a cull) is misleading and in my opinion wrong.

In the natural sciences there is a system of naming organisms that is used, called binomial nomenclature...aka genus and species.... then follows sub species. Common names do not matter. Why? prime example ... The north American Robin and the Robin of europe... same common names.... totally different birds.

In a perfect world, there would be an association that named the strains out there for discus, unfortunately theres not one so generally every tom , dick and harry that breeds theoir discus gives them names...thats all fine dandy and cool.....but not if you are selling them.

JMO,
al

Ps... also IMO... there are very few "true" strains out there. as it takes generations to truly fix a strain. In Lab animals its often as many as 14 generations ... if your fish breed at 1 year... you had better plan on spending over a decade "fixing" that strain!

11-27-2002, 02:59 AM
I grade Brew with a A+ LOL! :thumbsup:

DarkDiscus
11-27-2002, 09:50 AM
Hey Al,

Do you have any of the Amazonian Ultra Green Blue Devils left? I'm looking to spend $500 a fish and they sound especially cool!

;)

John

Denny
11-27-2002, 10:17 AM
good point al,

and as the guys in monty python explained,there are differences between the african and european swallows, too. ;D

denny

John_Nicholson
11-27-2002, 10:46 AM
Hey Denny I can't believe that I "came out" in a fish post.....Please don't tell my wife or kids I am sure it would be quite the surprise to them....LOL

Thanks for pointing my mouse clicking problems. I think I have it fixed now.

Thanks again -john

Jeffery_Doty
11-27-2002, 11:20 AM
Hello Everyone,

Roger,

I wanted to let you know that I posted an auction for 8 wild type green x solid blue fry, with FREE delta dash shipping anywhere in the USA, starting at $100, and I got 2 bids, with Oscar getting them for $126. And, they are not junk discus, they are nice. So, starting an auction at a reasonable price, with free shipping, and an honest description, did not get any interest.

I was honest about the description, but maybe I should have put, "Exotic, green-blue, super sized fry." It seems that being honest does not get as much attention as being a sales-person.

As far as Anand and his auctions, I thought it really was funny, and maybe would get folks to examine these outrageous names. I pretty much agree with the way Dave C. stated it.

Jeff
Oregon

brewmaster15
11-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Hi Jeff,
Why Bother with Aquabid anyhow... just post what you for sale here, and you'll probably get more money and less hassels! ;)

...Besides that I don't watch aquabid, and I might miss something I'd want! ;)

take care,
al

Jeffery_Doty
11-27-2002, 11:40 AM
Brew,

I tried that! Got a question about my camera! LOL

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=2875

Jeff
Oregon

roger
11-27-2002, 11:53 AM
Man this thead took off :)

Jeff I think I have enough faith in your auctions to say that price and description are accurate. I was in no way referring to you.

The original gripe is with the junk/joke posts, its like spamming people to complain about spammers. As it has been said, if you dont like it dont read it. Because of all the backlash that is the approach Ill be taking.

Peace
Roger

brewmaster15
11-27-2002, 11:54 AM
DOAH!!!!! ;D

Guess I should read that section more closely, seems I missed the boat as usual. ::)

Suggestion to anyone with fry to sell , post in the for sale section, but feel free to put a post here in the general section that basically says ... Hey I have fry for sale ...check it out here..... and link to the forsale post that has all the details. I think most don't go there unless they are looking for something.... but ... most of the Discus nuts I know are impulse buyers ...hint hint.

oh and from a marketing point of view , make that post in the general section when theres a ton of people on line! :)

hth,
al

11-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Hmmmmmmm..... Somehow while I was walking somewhere between the time and space continuum something happened and I think deleted the account.... didn't have much time to surf, lately.... especially with that bulldog discus which came back and bit my a$$ off.... There are two sides to an issue.... perspective is totally personal..... I will never question ones choice... aquabid is a great site and mark is a wonderful guy..... Satires are usually scorned by some but welcomed by others..... I sell the fish I raise for 10 bucks a piece at 3-4 inches....... I don't believe my auctions degrade the site in itself. Common people it is one auction out of i don't know a few thousands, let the man have his fun....... I know I am pissing of many, Frankly, I don't give a damn, If I could make a couple of the new hobbists, think twice before they bite the bait and bid on an ANTIQUE MYSTICLE MUMBO JUMBO SWEET ANGEL STALLION, that will give you a 200% fertility rate on your spawns with identical twins for every single egg... I would consider my work rewarded....... I have seen some beautiful fish sold by cary and mike on aquabid as well no fancy names just quality discus..... many who visit here sell them as well.... do you ever consider with all the phony hyped names by a few con artists, these genuine sellers are being affected.......

Thanks for stirring this up john... will save a few leopards for you next time..... I mean, SERANGHETI SWIFT MOVING SPECKLE FACED red leopards..... Take care fellows..... have a little laugh with me or at me... either way it is good for you.... Have a great gobble... gobble... day fellows.....

EDIBILL----- lost your email so just let me know when you wanna stop by....

11-27-2002, 12:59 PM
Anand, would every afternoon be too much? LOL...

11-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Actually if you promise to do w/c while you are here, I will have no problem at all.... ;D ;D

John_Nicholson
11-27-2002, 01:44 PM
No problem Anand. I was just stating my opinion. The 12 fish that I brought back from you are starting to bow to each other so I should have some pairs before long. Great looking fish.

-john

gump
11-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Denny, the only problem with your theory is that discus are non migratory!!
Pierre

11-27-2002, 11:20 PM
I'll bring my glass drill, a sack of bulkheads and pvc pipe and show you how
to do the "one valve" waterchange.

fcdiscus
11-27-2002, 11:53 PM
Jeez- Anand has a new listing on aquabid with a really whacky name, but it is a serious auction! No shipping and no picture??????????? Frank

11-28-2002, 12:35 AM
Edi.... I heard about those things...... but is it hard to turn the valve?>>>>>

Frank. It is a serious auction..... if they bid they will recieve the fish...... ;D ;D ;D There will be many many more whacky names but good fish ready for the bidder... No jokes... since some have problem with the jokes.. I am serious now.... >:( >:( >:(

Carol_Roberts
11-28-2002, 04:16 AM
Yes, but what about pictures??? I want to see pictures of the discus your're offering . . . how else will I know what a Golden antique topaz discus looks like. LOL, Must be pigeon based . . .
CArol :heart1:

11-28-2002, 11:52 PM
Carol... Mark has forbidden me from posting pictures but for entertainment vaule I will get the picture ready and post it here.... in a day.... The turkey is blurrung my thinking process....

afick1975
12-15-2002, 07:05 AM
Hello Guys. Anand is a great person out of the Atlanta Ga area and I have travel to his house a few times to buy some discus from him. He put that post on aquabid because he is tired of people coming up with all kind of names just to sell fish. As long as we have new people coming in to the hobby those guys that are selling fish that way are going to keep making money because they are just looking for a pretty fish at a cheap price. As time pass and they realize they brought crap they might purchase their discus from people like Cary and Enchanted Discus.

Andre