PDA

View Full Version : Raising Babies

DHDiscusMan
11-26-2002, 06:02 PM
I don't have any discus that have even attempted to breed. :( I feel so left out. But about a week and a half ago when I was visiting Chad at Discus Obsession he sold me some really small babies. I think they were about two weeks old at the time so now they are getting close to four weeks.

Anyway, I have managed to keep them all healthy this long which is a bonus for me. I have found, though, that about half of the babies are significantly smaller than the other half. Some are about twice as big as the small ones. I'm tempted to go pick up a 10 gal so I can keep the small and not so small separate. Does anyone do this when raising babies? I don't want 4 or 5 pigs to end up huge when the rest wont grow past 3 inches. Should I worry about this?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

fcdiscus
11-26-2002, 06:05 PM
JMO, but I think you should feed them more. Frank

DHDiscusMan
11-26-2002, 06:10 PM
I feed them about as much as they can eat when I'm at home. I usually dump in some worms and when they finish I vacuum and dump in some more. Also with flakes and frozen.

I'm going to try to get a pic from Chad of what the babies he kept from this spawn look like to see if mine are growing much slower. I just thought it was a little odd for the babies to be so different in size after about 10 days in my custody. They were pretty close to the same size when I got them.

Thanks for the tip, though, Frank. I'll see if I can get them to choke down some more food. That was why I was thinking of splitting off the smaller ones so they could eat slower but still get lots.

Dan

EthanCote.com
11-26-2002, 06:12 PM
Hey Dan,

Separating them is a great idea. It will prevent the big ones from eating most of the foods as well as bullying the smaller ones.

This way it will give the smaller ones a chance to grow up.

Cheers,

Chi.