PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds

ferrax
11-27-2002, 03:18 PM
I bought a discus from lfs that was marked as a blue diamond but all the blue diamonds i have seen are a solid blue. Mine is more like a striated blue.

I was wondering if there is a basic feature that defines a diamond strain

DarkDiscus
11-27-2002, 03:34 PM
Ferrax,

Sounds like you got LFSed. They see the fish is blue. The distributor told them it is a blue diamond. They sell it as a blue diamond.

It's probably a turquoise or something similar. Hopefully it is a nice fish, just not a BD.

John

PS. BD are blue all over - solid blue with no striations or stress bars.

allan_mark76
11-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Looks like LFS strikes AGAIN ! ! !

A-

ferrax
11-27-2002, 03:50 PM
I also thought it looked alot like a turk but with all the different strains and inbreeds, sometimes its a bit confusing. I´ve discus for about 16 months and have got a lot to leran about this beautifull fish

EthanCote.com
11-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Hey John,

I'm curious but when BD are youngs, do they show striation or stressed bars and only go solid blue when they reach maturity? I never have them so not sure.

How old is your fish Ferrax?

Cheers,

Chi.

DarkDiscus
11-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Chi,

I can only go by the 3 I have, but I got them at 2" from Cary and they were already bright blue. No stress bars or any markings. If they stress they get darker as a whole and when they are thinking about breeding they get brighter and more blue. Very striking fish.

John

EthanCote.com
11-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Thanks John and Anand. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Chi.

11-27-2002, 04:30 PM
Chi, I don't hink they have any stressbars even when they are young, I haven't bred any blues but have had a spawn from the ghosts line which is where the blue diamonds came from.... they do color up very early... With right amount of lighting, I think blue diamonds are the best ones for a planted tank... they are just absolutely fantastic fish.....
I have to say the best blue diamond picture I have seen was the logo fish of team discus, I believe that chad bertoni of discus obsession is the proud owner of him now.....

ferrax
11-27-2002, 06:03 PM
I think he is about 14 months, more or less a month, he´s very nice just not a blue diamond

saints27
11-27-2002, 06:58 PM
here's a pic of my Blue Diamond male with 3 week old fry(hatched on the 5th Nov).
You cant see the fry clearly from this pic but they do have a bluey sheen about them

Jamie

April
11-28-2002, 12:44 AM
Lookin good....Jamie. your doing great!! or rather the fish is. : )))

Rod
11-28-2002, 07:58 AM
Blue diamonds never show stress bars even when babies. This pic is babies about 8weeks old, you can already see the color quite clearly at this size.

11-28-2002, 09:05 AM
Each brood of BD has some throw backs depending on how pure are the parents. You'll see golden bars on them while the pure BD is clean wihtout bars. The bars will disappear as they grow bigger. They're either called cobalt or solid blue and they have a bar run between the eyes only. Otherwise they are clean like BD. You have 2 choices being a breeder. I usually cull them or some may sell them cheap to LFS. they can call them whatever they want. They tends to grow faster than the BD and don't have the constipation problem like all BD even they come from the same parents, Interesting isn't it? They're somewhat different. They are a lot easier to care for and breed like turquoise. Their F1 will get a small percentage of BD. About 30%.

Jimmy.

11-28-2002, 11:49 PM
Jimmy just curious.... Blue diamonds are recessive genes right... which mean that if both parents are bluediamonds then the resulting batch should be 100% BD won't they? there should be no throw backs.... what am I missing!!!!

11-29-2002, 12:24 AM
Anand: Regardless how pure the parents are. Somehow you always have some. The genetic theory some how doesn't apply to my fish. Very often the So called throw backs cobalt or solid blue will give me 50% BD if I cross them with PB. or SS.Theorectically it should be 100% non-BD. Genetic is a very complicated subject. It doesn't work for me and I think it never will.
Jimmy.

Rod
11-29-2002, 04:38 AM
From my experience breeding blue diamonds i would have to agree with Anands assumption that they breed 100% true. Maybe it was just the lines i was breeding from, but i had 3 lines to work from and they all produced 100% bd every time even when crossing the lines.

11-29-2002, 06:05 AM
It probably the line. Mine came from a famous breeder in Hong Kong and I'm breeding the F4 at the present time. He does develope another famous cobalt line which came from the throw backs of BD. I never had a brood with 100% BD. The most I've got is about 90% max. See the throw backs from the pic. They have pattern on their chin. Otherwise, they look exactly like their brothers and sisters. I think they call them reflection D?? I even have somethrow backs as Bulldogs from the same line. I'll post the pic. this weekend for the BD bulldog. Have a nice day.
Jimmy

Willie
11-29-2002, 08:05 PM
This is a spawn of Angel Diamonds (only 3 weeks old). Parents came from Joe @ Enchanted Discus, who got them from Wayne Ng. Out of 150+ young, not a single fish had vertical bars. I got multiple pairs out of the original purchase and none of these pairs produced any progeny with vertical bars. So true breeding types do exist, for Angel Diamonds and Blue Diamonds at least.

Willie

11-29-2002, 09:11 PM
JimmyL
My understanding as I mentioned was that blue diamond (barless gene is a reccessive - geno pheno not sure which one is what) anyways.... if you cross a BD with any other fish(which dosen't have a BD gene) you will get 100% non blue diamonds, if you take any two ofsprings of those you will get 50% BD and the rest non BD but 50% of the non BD's will contain the gene type even though they don't look like BD.... so that should explain why you get BD even if you cross a BD with other fish, (the other fish has the BD gene type)..... but as far as BD only pair.... they do not carry any of the dominant gene type that is why they are showing the BD kinda like Blue eyes..... that is why I was confused.....