PDA

View Full Version : Malachite green & Formalin

Steve_Warner
11-29-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi all,
I was looking through the meds section of an LFS due to curiosity and came across a product with these two meds in it. It said it treats bacteria...blah, blah, blah. Just wondering if anyone has used anything like this and what it is used for? I'm thinking of using it for my eggs/fry due to bacterial problems upon hatching, I believe. Thoughts?

Steve

fcdiscus
11-29-2002, 05:49 PM
Yes Steve, i use Quik Cure often for week old to month old fry to help with flukes and bacteria problems. It definately has its place! Frank

Steve_Warner
11-30-2002, 01:35 AM
Hi all,
Frank, thanks for the info.......Have you ever used it on eggs or wigglers? I have issues with my wigglers developing large, bloated, black bellies and withering away to death? I want to experiment with some diff. ideas upon the next spawn. It's strange though.......The eggs develop just fine and hatchout great, then the fry begin having problems after about the second day of birth. Thanks again.

Steve

fcdiscus
11-30-2002, 02:00 AM
Steve, that sounds very strange. I have never heard that before. At that stage they are still eating their yolk sac. It might be a bacterial problem from the parents. Is it just from one particular pair, or more than one? Frank

Steve_Warner
11-30-2002, 04:15 AM
Hi all,
Frank, it is just one pair......I have been told that it could be a possible low pH problem due to the fact that my pH is in the low 5's/high 4's range. It seems to develop over a few days, as the fry look very healthy upon birth! I'm stumped too, but will continue trying different things to remedy the situation.

Steve

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-30-2002, 02:53 PM
Steve
I don't know if this helps at all, but I have had fry not develope right when the ph was down that low, mostly missing dorsal fins or deformed.
I would certainly try a spawn with the ph closer to 6.
You say this is only one pair, I would have to ask are you breeding other pairs with this low of a ph and not have problems.
Dennis

Steve_Warner
11-30-2002, 04:49 PM
Hi all,
Dennis, this is only one pair that breeds in my community tank. I only have one tank and this pair spawns like clockwork every 10 or so days. It's the same old deal, with the cycle of eggs hatching and wigglers developing this bloated condition. Should I take the eggs out and put them into higher pH water after being laid or after hatching? Thanks for the info!

Steve