PDA

View Full Version : How do you uncoil a twisted python?

samcatj
11-29-2002, 06:55 PM
I have a 50 foot Python Clean n' Fill that I can't roll up in an organized fashion without getting kinks and twists in the hose.
I also have a 60 foot piece of 3/4" syphon hose that I have the same trouble with besides the fact that it is very stiff in sections. I've tried running hot water inside the hoses and laying them in the sun but they continue to coil every way but the right way when I store them.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to straighten them out once and for all?
Thanks for your time and response.

Samcatj

11-29-2002, 11:52 PM
Go with it..

Smokey
11-30-2002, 01:04 AM
I've had the same problems; till i found out all hoses are wound/ rolled in one direction only. Some thing to do with the way they are manf.
so, I just strechted it out and coil up the hose neatly.. let the twists and turns straighten themselves out.
Never really get away from the problem, but with practice i get better at not having so many kinks.

11-30-2002, 09:50 AM
Keep the hose filled with water, straighten it out in a straight line and then allow the water to exit then hose while you are rolling it up. dont ask me how but the water in the hose has something to do with helping the hose not to kink up. Another thing you can do is go to you hardware store and buy one of those rolling garden hose assembly and use it for your aquarium hoses.
Randy

Francisco_Borrero
12-02-2002, 11:09 AM
IME/IMO, Smokey and Randy are right on with their advice. I have 3 "pythons", and used to have problems too. No more of the coiling kind.
It is a lot better to start rolling the hose from the end that you just had inside the tank (in my case, with a J attachment). Before that, unplug the hose at the other end, so the hose empties into a bucket as you roll it; you don't want it to empty back into yiour aging water container or you run the risk of contaminating it with tank water. I use a clamp at the side of the bucket, so the end of the hose never comes out making a mess on the floor, or getting dirty on the floor. Then roll the hose in as large loops as your storage location allows, and make sure to follow the "natural coiling pattern" of the hose. If one does not follow this pattern, all kinds of kinks and problems develop. When you are close to finish coiling it, lift the whole wad of hose above your head to drain whateever water is left, and then blow hard with your mouth to complete the emptying. A little water always remains, no matter how hard I try. Then store the coiled hose hanging.
When using hose aggain to refill a tank or get tap water, I always let some water run to flush any water that has stayed inside the hose.
Good luck. Your hose will teach you which is its natural coiling pattern.
Cheers, Francisco.

RichieE
12-03-2002, 12:12 PM
As I coil the hose I twist it in my fingers. It seems to have "memory" so it has to go back the same way it was origionally wound. 50 feet is twice the size of mine. If its not manageable consider a splice with some sort of quick connect in the middle HTH. Rich