PDA

View Full Version : spawn pic

11-30-2002, 07:22 AM
My alenquer and santarem have spawned again, only five days after their unsuccessful spawn on the filter monday....Luckily I smartened up and had a spawning cone constructed for them, which they used....As they were spawning, I was thinking "what's the point in spawning again so soon? there will probably only be a few eggs"....but there's almost 200...It's funny how what looks like a very small spawn can actually be quite a few eggs :)

hunterbeav
11-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Wow congrats David man those discus look HUGE how big are they????? :)

Willie
11-30-2002, 11:49 AM
Congratulations, David. That's a beautiful fish. Are you feeding any color enhancing foods? (No disparagement intended.)

You should think about getting some mesh around those eggs. Some pairs get used to eating their first few spawns. If they can go through a successful spawn, then they'll stop eating the subsequent ones.

Willie

DREW
11-30-2002, 01:53 PM
They do look huge! I hope they come through for you.

Good luck

11-30-2002, 03:57 PM
the male(which you can see the best) is between 6 and 7 inches without the tail....the female is quite a bit smaller....

willie: they don't much care for my beefheart mixture,(sigh) so unless very minute amounts of naturose can color them up it would have to be something in the mysis shrimp or bloodworms...or it's natural..

the first spawn they fanned the eggs even after they went white and didn't eat them....the second spawn was on a sponge filter and the eggs slowly fell off...then they ate them....i think i'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt for at least this spawn before i put a screen around the eggs, they seem like pretty good parents so far...

i really don't know that either are fertile yet until i get wigglers...

Jeffery_Doty
11-30-2002, 04:43 PM
David,

A beautiful pair of discus! I really hope they will raise this spawn for you.

Where did you get them?

Jeff
Oregon

11-30-2002, 04:52 PM
I bought them from Dave_C about a month ago....he was selling off a whole bunch of his fish so he'd have room to bring home a bunch from Cary... ;D I've got a really nice(smaller) red spotted diamond snake that is also laying eggs,(she's fanning unfertilized ones as we speak) but no one to spawn her with while the santarem is busy....

daninthesand
11-30-2002, 05:26 PM
David.

Whats up with that male? Every time I see it, its redder. Must be his spawning colours perhaps?. VERY nice.

Daniel

paulmat
11-30-2002, 06:06 PM
David

Good luck with this batch ;D

The fish are simply gorgeous :gorgeous:

Keep us posted

Paul :guitarist:

12-02-2002, 12:59 PM
....which were promptly eaten....hahahaha....but i got 'em!!! so at least i know that i've got a fertile male(and female) and i've got a pair....after three tries i guess that's not bad....maybe a couple more and i'll get to free swimming with a sizeable spawn... :)

DarkDiscus
12-02-2002, 03:38 PM
David,

Really impressive fish! Great looking, really big and fertile...

Good luck with them and keep us up to date!

Thanks!

John