PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Eye Color for Snowflakes?

DHDiscusMan
11-30-2002, 03:33 PM
I'm just curious what the best Eye color is for Snowflakes. I have two with white eyes and all my other discus have either yellow or red.

Anyone know what eye colors are common in that strain?

I know people call the white ones differently. I'm talking about solid white fish with very slight blue tint on the end of the top and bottom fins.

Thanks a lot.

Dan

11-30-2002, 03:55 PM
I could be mistaken.....but for a pure snowflake(not crossed out) there is no other eye color other than white.

Tony

DHDiscusMan
11-30-2002, 04:33 PM
OK. Thanks for the info. I didn't know if they were expected to have Red eyes like most others.

Dan

fcdiscus
11-30-2002, 05:04 PM
Yes, White eyes Dan. Frank

EthanCote.com
11-30-2002, 05:45 PM
Hey Dan,

If they have different eyes color other than white, perhaps its a crossed with some Blue Diamond? You did mention it has some hue of blue on the outter fins.

Just a guess.

Cheers,

Chi.

12-06-2002, 06:19 PM
Cary tells me they are inbred quite extensively to get that white eye and white body. That is also the reason that they don't grow to be as large. Quite a spectacle though. Mine seem to have a little more trouble eating small pieces of food than my other fish though...anyone else notice that?
brad

Jeff
12-07-2002, 11:19 PM
Dan,

What you have is a Snow White. They all will have white eyes. ;)

Scubaboy
12-12-2002, 02:30 AM
Greetings to all. I just recently purchased a White Snowflake from Jeff in Chicao Ridge, one of Carey Strongs fish, and it is quite the specimen. It's eyes are white and have that Blue hue on its fins. I didn't know that they don't grow that big though. What is the approximate size that they can reach ? Also, does the blueish hue dissapear or is that there to stay ? Another thing is that this Snowflake has a hearty appetite. No problem with the Blackworms, of course. He also likes the beefheart. I haven't tried to give him Mysis yet. Give me some feedback on this please. I am curious. Thanx in advance for your response. George.

12-12-2002, 05:55 PM
the biggest they'll likely get is 5-6 inches. That's a good possibility if yours is so hungry and you change water a lot. I'm not sure about the bluish hue, as it went away on mine when i put a solid background on the tank.
Good luck,
Brad

Scubaboy
12-13-2002, 02:59 AM
Hey Brad, Thanx for the info. I do water changes every week and feed them well. Hopefully he'll get a nice size. I will be happy with 5'-6'. Thanx again :wave:

Jeff
12-13-2002, 12:38 PM
Scubaboy,

How many fish and what size tank do you have? Usually to achieve maximum size you have to have optimum conditions. That would mean water changes every day and multiple feedings each day. ;)

12-14-2002, 11:49 PM
yea, Scuba, you may want to bump those waterchanges up to daily...lol I saw a pic of your snowflake...he could be a really nice fish.

01-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Scuba, The snowflakes to me have a very washed out pale pale blue eye.

Brad, If a discus loses color ( blue tint ) in the finnage --the water conditions are not optimal then . These fish are delicate and its requirements are more stringent than other strains.

Joe ;)

01-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Joe,
My friend I agree with you on that! But I to put my snowflake's
on a light background and all have lost there Blue. But am happy they are eating and growing even though the ph is a little high!

TakeCare,
Cary Gld!

Jeff
01-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Cary,

I noticed the same thing. I was recently in a store and the tanks were clean water quality looked good ( not that I checked it), and this particular tank did not have anything on either of the 4 sides of the glass. All the fish looked healthy, but the snowflakes did not have any blue in either top or bottom fin.

fishfarm
01-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Here's some snow whites from Penang. One grew very fast the others much slower. The blue became less intense with age. I sold these to a friend at 2". The larger is 4" at about 6 months of age. They were feed only CBW. The tank crash resently and lost all of them :(
White pigeons(marlboro lights, white butterfly) have red eyes, snowflake and snow white have white eyes and come from browns. Ken

01-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Very nice. Good shape and color. Would not mind a few those myself. ;)

Mike

01-19-2003, 02:32 AM
Ken, I agree with you for the most part on how the snowflake was derived. Wild browns wer bred with Ghosts. F1 -100% brown. F2 a few whites. F3 take the whites and interbreed. F4 100% white.Take F4 and line cross to avoid too much inbreeding weak and possibly deformed recessive -gened progeny. Whites are the dominant gene. When breeding anything with whites--it becomes a variation on a theme. In Duisburg, there were Albino Discus with Red eye this year--price--$700 for a single 3" fish. No, I didn't buy any!!!

However, The originator of the snowflake did not use the combination above to achieve the same results. Sly had corrected me on this in one of my articles and proved true. I do not remember the actual crossing at my advanced age, so I will defer to Sly once again. Joe ;)

fishfarm
01-24-2003, 10:40 AM
Hey Joe, If your advanced. I'm in trouble! I thought I was still a young guy ;)
Hey Mike, Once you get set back up I'll get you in contact with my Penang supplier who raise the snow whites. They are a little expensive but worth every penny. He has a limited supply and I sell out very fast every time I get them. (His fish are very clean!! Never break down.) Ken