PDA

View Full Version : adult water change schedule

Denny
12-01-2002, 01:03 AM
in my 125 g bb tank w/ 6 adults i have been doing 5- 50% wc per week. i have had good results with this, but on a few occations like this week when i was gone, i have noticed that when i return that they actually seem to be as active or even more active on the 3 rd or 4 th day.

so i am thinking of either cutting back the amount per day to 10 or 20%or the number per week to 2-3.

the ph is stable and there is no chlorine so there are no fluctuation issues. and the water is clean as is the tank.

any opinions?

denny

Carol_Roberts
12-01-2002, 02:00 AM
I think with full grown adults you can get by with every other day or so - depending on stocking levels.
CArol :heart1:

paulmat
12-01-2002, 02:31 AM
Denny

I do 25% every OD with my adult grow out fish and they do great, and they don't complain about it ;D

Paul :guitarist:

Smokey
12-01-2002, 08:42 AM
Remember.. the river flows through - saying... do water changes reguallary.. min. 25% per day, preferabaly the good out 50% per day. There is alot of stuff accuminlating in the tank water.. and the discus will suffer. Personally, I change water when the NO3's hit 5ppm...W/C..W/C...W/C; some times this is every 8 hours. and I am talking about 40 imperal gallons at a time just for a 50%.. The discus do respond !!!

Smokey
( lots of used water for trade)

fcdiscus
12-01-2002, 01:44 PM
IMO, with only 6 adults in such a large tank, I do not see why you could not cut back to what you want. Frank

12-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Denny,
Alot depends on the stocking levels of the tanks. I change 80% daily in all my tanks. And it is done in the evening time that is when I get home from work. The fish play around in the water flowing into the tank. I feed heavy and the fish grow very good and I have very few problems unless the city does a ph crash. Then I adjust the ph back up and all is well.

HTH
Miles

OEG
12-01-2002, 07:37 PM
Just for info sake, what does everyone use as a schedule for pairs? I do about 40-50% twice a day and sometimes theres nothing to vacum up. I have been wondering if i could get away with once a day 40%. Your info will be appreciated.
Oscar

Denny
12-01-2002, 07:45 PM
that one is beyond me, i have 3 pairs in the tank but they are sworn to celebacy. ;)

denny

korbi_doc
12-01-2002, 07:54 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Reeaaallll nice, fish Oscar, Dottie ;D ;D

OEG
12-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Thanks Dottie, heres on more, this is a male Scorpion SS. They are more of the fine line SS Strain.

Denny
12-01-2002, 08:28 PM
i like them oeg,

and you take a great picture!

fcdiscus
12-01-2002, 08:58 PM
Nice oscar. In my opinion, you are changing too much water. I do between 10 and 25% daily for pairs. Sometimes 1/3 if I do a wipe down! Frank

OEG
12-01-2002, 09:45 PM
Thanks Frank,
Do you ever have problems with fungus on eggs? What do you usually feed, i feed blackworms,bloodworms and have gone away from beefheart i found beefheart mucks up the water too much, hell i think the bloodworms are pretty messy too. I cant get them to eat things like tetra color bits they stay in the tank all day long.
thanks for the help Frank
Oscar

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-02-2002, 12:02 AM
Oscar
I am with Frank on this one, I change 10 to 20% a day and more every couple week when I wipe the tank down, with pairs.
I feed beefheart, frozen brine shrimp, tetra bits.
Fry and grow out I change different amounts depending on the tank load.
Dennis

fcdiscus
12-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Hey Oscar-I feed pairs Blackworms and Tetra Bits. My Bluediamonds do get the Azoo Blue, if they eat it. Fish I grow out myself, I feed just about everything, but fish I have bought from others usually only eat Blackworms and/or Bits. Babies get Bits, Beefheat (only just before a major WC), Ocean Not Frozen #1, Azoo Blue, New Life spectrum, Wattley Frozen Community food with Garlic, and Ocean Nutrition Flakes. I also feed some Frozen BS, especially to fish like the pair I got from Dennis, because they like it and I think it is good for them. I never feed Bloodworms anymore. Frank

Denny
12-02-2002, 01:20 AM
i am having a heck of a time getting mine to eat anything but fr. bloodworms. i bought colorbits and a few others last week and since they had no food for 3 days i hoped they would accept them easier on an empty stomach but they are stubborn. lets hope i can be more stubborn than them. i want to try some smaller type of worms like red wigglers but that will be after the new year.

denny

OEG
12-02-2002, 01:21 AM
Dennis, Frank
thank you both very much for you help, i will try this new schedule with my pairs and see what gives. I appreciate the help and look forward to reading more of your posts.
Frank you sure got lucky with that pair from Dennis, i think they are beautiful, hope i can buy some babies once you have them.
Oscar

fcdiscus
12-02-2002, 01:31 AM
Denny- Try slipping some bits in with a bit of bloodworms. It will take a while but soon you can increase the amount of Bits, and less worms. They will learn. Some of my fish actually prefer Bits to Blackworms. Frank

Denny
12-02-2002, 01:40 AM
frank i tried that but they just ate the bloodworms and crapped on the colorbits. they are going cold turkey for a few more days and i think they will break

also my prazi will be here hoprfully tomorrow and that i hope will help put them in a better mood once the tapeworms are gone. at least in one anyway

denny