PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY

jeep
12-02-2002, 01:28 PM
A friend has a single discus (in with 4 others) that is going nuts and hitting everything in sight, stnning herself and spinning after knocking itself out and cutting itself on the hood.

All water paramiters are fine and she is the only fish doing this. Have tried higher temp, lower temp and salt at 1TBS per 3 gal. She's getting worse...

I've searched the archives but can't find a solution.

Neurological???

Any ideas???

12-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Sorry jeep cull her! :'(

DarkDiscus
12-02-2002, 02:53 PM
Jeep,

I've seen fish which have what seem to be neurological problems before. It could be a lot of things.

Cary's right though. The main problem is a fish like that will spook the others and make THEM jumpy and start crashing around.

Either isolate the fish and see if you can get it to tone down or cull it.

John

jeep
12-02-2002, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys, I had a similar problem with one of mine but there were other symptoms and a salt treatment worked.

We've tried everything I did on mine but she just keeps getting worse... I guess it's time to face the inevitable :angel:

12-02-2002, 03:38 PM
:'(

12-02-2002, 03:57 PM
be sure to give her proper burial...

jeep
12-03-2002, 08:52 AM
Well, we went ahead and attempted some antibiotics as a last ditch effort because a swim bladder infection was suspect, but I guess my friend waited just a bit too long.

She passed just a few hours later :'(

jeep
12-03-2002, 12:23 PM
I guess no matter how much good advise you can get, quick action is the best way to start!

It's really sad. These fish are so personable, unlike other types of fish. It seemed like she was actually asking for help towards the end...

cgrim10
12-03-2002, 12:37 PM
hi jeep. i didn't know how to respond to your emergency before, but want to ask if it it was possible the effects of acidosis played a part of this loss?? i have read about fish darting/fatal from acute bouts of this. had this tank crashed recently? are all fish from the same tank, or was this a new arrival? sorry for so many questions so late. cg

jeep
12-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Hey CG,

The water paramiters were fine and the tank was being maintained properly. I even told her to switch out heaters because of a possible current leak. I believe an infection had set in some time ago and the proper course of action was delayed too long to help.

This was an extablished tank and the fish was from a LFS about 1 1/2 years old. 3 other fish with no problems and zero problems with the fish in question up until about a month ago...

I had a very similar problem with one of my females a few weeks ago but I jumped right on it and a salt treatment is all it took to fix her up...

I wonder if, due to consistant egg laying, females are more suseptible to internal infections? Just a theory...

Brian