PDA

View Full Version : Deworming

RichieE
12-02-2002, 02:35 PM
I am currently deworming a pair of Discus because I saw one of them pass what I believe is a tapeworm. At one point 3 worms were comeing out at the same time. I thought ouch thats gotta be painfull so I added Epsom salt at 1 TBS per gallon. While I know it cant be harmful to do this I was wondering if anyone does this as a practice when deworming their fish. Rich

fcdiscus
12-02-2002, 05:52 PM
Rich, One tbs per gallon is an awful lot of Epsom salt! 1 tsp per 10 is just as effective, and no, I have not tried it, but it sounds like a viable idea. I do not think the slow movement of the tapeworms bothers them though. Frank :)

brewmaster15
12-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Hi Richie,
Epsom will not deworm them. And at the highest, epsom in the dose of 1 tablespoon /10 gal (my dose) for blockages, but as frank said, 1 teaspoon /10 gal works well too.

Multiple worms being passed could be tape worm segments. Are the visibly segmented? A suggestion would be to obtain some prazi and deworm. You will know in 24 hours if the fish has tape worms!

You can also feed them panacur in the food.

Both prazi and panacur are availible by VETs, you can also buy Prazi online --its expensive though, or IM me for other alternatives.

-al

fcdiscus
12-02-2002, 06:06 PM
Al, from the way I read it, he was adding epsom salt to his deworming treatment, not as his deworming treatment. Frank

brewmaster15
12-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Guess you are right Frank,
I saw Deworm and epsom...I'm starting to read these posts like I type the answers! Too much coffee today.

-al