PDA

View Full Version : I had worms as a kid!

Tin Pusher
12-02-2002, 05:59 PM
I knew you would have to look after reading a subject header like that. ;) I remember when I was a boy I bought some fish from a friend of a friend and he threw in a box of dirt with these white worms in it. They were rolled up in a ball in the top layer of the dirt and I fed them a piece of bread soaked in milk. The fish loved them. After a little while I recalled that they all just disapeared and I was never able to find them again.
What were these tasty little treats?
Are they good for Discus?
Where can a get some more?

Discusgeo
12-02-2002, 07:00 PM
Tin Pusher I feed my Discus Red Worms and I get them from Wormman.com at $20.00 per thousand which includes shipping.
http://www.wormman.com/redworms.htm

Tin Pusher
12-02-2002, 07:13 PM
I was looking for the white worms I grew as a kid but I will look into red worms also.
Thanks

brewmaster15
12-03-2002, 01:04 PM
Hi Tin,
many feed those white worms to young fish, you can buy them on line as starter cultures from many sources, or try posting a post with a title like "white worm Cultures--sources?"

hth,
al

fcdiscus
12-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Hi TP- White worms are a great source for young fish, and a healthy choice. You can get some from aquabid, but go to Thebugfarm. Some of the others sell you tiny amounts that take forever to yeild a culture. They are also a PITA to get out of the dirt! Good luck! Frank ;)

mench
12-03-2002, 07:08 PM
Frank,to get them out of the dirt easy,all ya do is put s chunk of bread on top of the dirt,the worms come up to eat the bread and they form a clump you can grab and feed to the fish.

Mench

fcdiscus
12-03-2002, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the tip Ron, I will try it! Frank :)

12-03-2002, 10:06 PM
Take a 4 x 4 or similiar sized piece of plexiglass, spray one side with water, sprinkle on potato flakes, baby cereal, bread crumbs, etc and place wet side
down on top of your dirt. Wait 12 hours...worms by the hundreds will be stuck to the plexiglass munching on the food. Swipe off with your finger and swirl around in a cup of water..Rinse if you want..then just pour in. Works with grindal and white worms.