PDA

View Full Version : Sad news

Babs
12-03-2002, 01:31 PM
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my female discus who showed signs of head standing. I followed advise and did water changes and added salt. She looked so good late last week and was lined up with the 3 males for food. Then on Sunday she spawned. I guess it was too stressful for her. She immediately started the headstanding after the spawning. I cold see the bladder bulge. She died last night. I will bury her this afternoon. I am so sad. She was my favorite fish of over 5 years. Now I have 3 males left. I assume they will be fine in a group of three. Any thoughts?
Barbara

jeep
12-03-2002, 01:37 PM
Sorry Barbara,

I posted what I think is a similar problem a friend had. Her fish was actually up side down towards the end, but we didn't know if it was because of infection or because she kept knocking the heck out of herself, banging all over the walls.

For the future, I've understand that a treatment with anitbiotics will certainly not hurt if it is indeed a bladder infection... Spawning so soon after such an episode would not be a good idea, at least I wouldn't think so...

Brian

Babs
12-03-2002, 01:44 PM
How would I have stopped her from spawning in a community tanK? As I'm down to 3 males I guess that won't be a problem any more. Can I place angel fish in with my 3 discus? (55 gallon tank) I thought I read a long time ago that angels and discus are not a good combination. I don't want to add more discus as I'm concentrating on my marine reef tanks. They're easier than discus!

jeep
12-03-2002, 02:19 PM
I guess you couldn't really stop them from spawning. They act like spawning machines sometimes. I guess a female could be isolated, but I've heard of them spawning by themselves too.

Good luck with the marine tanks!!!

Francisco_Borrero
12-03-2002, 03:51 PM
I am very sorry Babs. It is very sad when this happens. From what you said, it seems she had developed a bladder problem, probably an infection. Despite having been left with 3 males, I wouyldn't put them with angels. Rather, I would try to get more discus, but quarentene them for sure.
Good luck, Francisco.

korbi_doc
12-03-2002, 03:57 PM
:'( :'( So sorry to hear that sad news. Why is it always the favorite?? Just makes it so hard. My thoughts are with you, hang in there. Perhaps in awhile you will feel like some more discus to add to these 3. Just please QT whatever you decide to get, Dottie :'( :'(

Babs
12-03-2002, 04:27 PM
She was I think my first fish and so very pretty. I guess she was a blue turquoise. She was smaller than the others so I always made sure she got plenty to eat. I have 2 marine tanks that take up a lot of my time and my husband doesn't want me to get more discus. I hope the 3 males will be ok without others. They sure knock each other around a lot. My blue diamond has a tumor/ulcer on his right pectoral fin the size of a green pea. i cut it off once but it grew right back. Any ideas?

RichieE
12-03-2002, 04:39 PM
Loosing a fish is a real downer. One that youve had for so long is even worse. I'm still bummed out over a couple lost about a month ago. The only way to stop a Discus from spawning is to send him to my house. Get more fish.It dulls the pain. Rich

Barb Newell
12-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Hi, :( I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. I know, it really hurts. You did your best.

Barb