PDA

View Full Version : florescent lights and algae

cod
12-03-2002, 08:27 PM
I am using four small florescent lights in a 55 gallon planted tank. The kind of flurescents used to replace an incandesent bulb in reading lamps. I am using three replacements for a 70 and one 90 replacement spiral bulb.
my plants are not growing much but the algae is. swords cyprts and java ferns. Also hydrophila deformis
do I have two much or two little light
how can i tell
cod

Ralph
12-04-2002, 12:56 AM
There is a ballpark type of calculation that is generally used in judging lighting in an aquarium. You add up the total wattage of your lights (each tube has the watts printed on it) and divide that number by the size of your tank. That number is your watts/gal. Most agree that something between 2 and 3 watts per gal. is the neighborhood that you want to be in. There are a bunch of variables that should be taken into consideration such as tank depth, light needs of your plants, light source, etc., but if you are between 2 and 3, you're probably close.
Algae can be "caused" by several different things, and lighting is on that list. There is a post in this section that talks about the various causes.
Glad to see you on Simply, can you post pictures or tell us about your tank(s)?

ChloroPhil
12-04-2002, 11:25 AM
cod,

When asking for advice with algae it's very helpful to add a few tank parameters so we have an idea of what might be wrong. Fortunately they're all things you need to keep track of with a planted tank and should have on hand easily. Read my sticky post on Algae, it's got a lot of the basic info you'll need.

Lighting in watts/g
pH
KH
CO2 level (find at www.sfbaaps.com)
Nitrate
Phosphate

Welcome aboard! Don't let the algae discourage you, it can be overcome. :)

cod
12-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the information. This is my second time around with discus. I walked into a fish store about ten years ago and saw my first discus and I was hooked. I keep them in a 55-gallon tank and made my own wet dry filter. Eventually gave up because they kept turning black and dying despite all my efforts. My guess is ammonia buildup or poor water quality.
I now have 4 discus for about one year and they seem to be doing fine.
   I wish to keep them in a planted tank and have followed Kees advice about waster changes and filtration. I have a Marineland Biowheel and it keeps my toxic ammonia levels at 0. It probably blows off co2 but have to take care of the fish first.
   After reading your information I calculated that I had 76 watts in a 55 gallon tank so I went out and bought a shop light to add an additional 80 watts, only to discover that both hoods are two wide for the tank. The shop lights give a much whiter cast to the tank but its still only 80 watts. I am now at a loss on what to do let it ride and see how the plants do or go to compact fluorescents. I am using a sterile topsoil substrate of 1 1/2 with a 1 1/2 inch topdressing ala Diane Walsted alo low tech. any thought on my lighting situation
cod

ChloroPhil
12-04-2002, 04:49 PM
You can get 3 bulb fixtures that will fit over a 55g, with either 40 or 80watt bulbs you'll have plenty of light. As opposite to what most accepted practices it is I'd ditch the biowheel. Healthy plants will use up Ammonia faster than the fish can produce it and are actually the world's best biofiltration system.

What kind of plants do you have in your tank? Are they mostly slow growers like swords and crypts, or are they faster growing stem plants like Rotala and Hygrophila?

Don't worry about Ammonia, get your lighting up to snuff and bring your CO2 up to where it should be. Your plants will take care of the rest.

Ralph
12-04-2002, 08:59 PM
I've got a very similar setup. There are a couple of options. You can put some cross-pieces on the tank and over hang the fixtures, just use three tubes if you want. Or you could build a frame for the two fixtures, and overhang one or both. The reflectors on the fixtures can be bent, maybe enough to make them both fit. Or you can buy a three tube fixture like Biotypical said.
Hopefully the increased lighting will take care of your algae problem.
It's funny you mentioned Diana Walstad, I was just getting ready to do a review of her book.

cod
12-04-2002, 10:35 PM
Mike Edwards has a nice article about low tech setups at his website and refers to Diana Walsted as the inspiration for his experement.
I have never seen a 3 bulb fixture. Do I have to go to a specialty lighting store or will one of the large chains like Home Depot carry it
thanks
COD

b3dlam
12-05-2002, 08:59 AM
Cod,

I thing to be aware of is the light spectrum of the common light bulbs sold... 'Cool white' has got a fair bit of its spectrum in the red part. Its not to say that they are not useful, but its worthwhile considering mixing some different colour bulbs....

hth

chavez720
12-10-2002, 11:37 AM
Cod - Like b3dlam suggested make sure that you have the right spectrum of lighting. For the light fixture that you have I will assume that it is 48" T-12 Flourescent bulbs. With the shop light only you will have 1.45 watts/ gal. The best bulbs would be the Ge Chroma 50, get at any home improvement store ($7-$9 a piece). Look for an orange box, it should say "Ge Sunshine" on them with yellow lettering, these are full spectrum bulbs. These are far cheaper than LFS bulbs (which are the same bulbs just packaged for fish so 4X the price).

With your plant selection - Crypts and Ferns - the light level sound fine. If you want more demanding plants shoot for 2-4 watts/gal of full spectrum lighting. Are you injecting CO2? Will be needed if you plant to increase light intensity to above 2 watts/gal