PDA

View Full Version : Updated Pics

b3dlam
12-04-2002, 01:28 AM
hi everyone,

I have some new pics of the discus in their new home... ;D

The mollies have been removed, as they proved to be too competitive during feeding times. There seems to be a fight to be the alpha discus.....they all school together and behave quite peacefully with one another, but as soon as feeding time comes around, its survival of the fittest.... ::)
I think I will get another feeding cone to minimise the larger discus getting more than its fair share..... :-\

http://www.pbase.com/b3dlam/week13

Let me know what you think! :D

Ralph
12-04-2002, 01:52 AM
That Barclaya is the reddest plant I have ever seen.
The Java Ferns really filled out nicely on your driftwood.
Did you have to move plants around or did you plan your tank out beforehand, either way, it sure looks well planned. Do you have a final image in mind are far as the total plant growth?

b3dlam
12-04-2002, 02:27 AM
hey Ralph,

I was very surpised how the barclaya turned out too.... it certainly exceeded my expectations. The leave are very large too....almost too large, as they are starting to cast fairly large shadows over the surrounding plants....

I did have a plan....a thicket near the river's edge...with some driftwood near the shoreline... gawd that sounds corny...hehehe.. :D

i am looking for ways to add more 'depth' to the aquascape. To this end, i might remove most of the stemmed plants from the left side of the tank, and replace them with hairgrass.... What are your thoughts?

dm
12-04-2002, 08:39 AM
Very nice b3dlam.
I think it looks great just the way it is. ;D

ChloroPhil
12-04-2002, 11:39 AM
b3dlam,

I wouldn't get rid of many of the stem plants but I think making some small holes in the "canopy" where the shorter hairgrass grows all the way from front to back would add a lot of depth. The right rear corner is a good example. The Barclaya is a lovely plant which will probably be better transplanted to the rear where the Hygro polysperma is now with some of the polysperma up front. You've got a lot of very thin and/or vertical plants, some horizonal influence and contrast would be very nice.

chavez720
12-04-2002, 04:42 PM
b3dlam - Nice to see you on this board also - I also jumped from Aquabotanic.

How did you get your barcalya to get that big? I have one that has been in the tank for about 6 months and has not even broken 2" yet. Your right this has to be the deepest red plant that I have gotton to grow.

Ralph
12-04-2002, 07:20 PM
I don't know specifically about the barclaya, but red leafed plants usually have high light requirements, B3dlam could give more info I'm sure.

I have an area with no tall plants in the back (it was an accident, the tall swords didn't grow) and I like the look, it gives a rest area for your eyes. And my fish hang out there more than any other spot. You have an area like that on the right side, between the driftwood, and it looks great.

There is a plant on the left toward the center, and stem plant with thin leaves, kind of tall. What is that?

dm
12-04-2002, 07:54 PM
I agree about having an open spot. It just seems to look better when it has something to break it up a little. Thats the great thing about having a planted tank, there is so much you can do with it. :D

b3dlam
12-04-2002, 09:13 PM
dm: thanks :D

bio: I think i know what you mean. The main problem using MH is that the light is quite focused, which casts shadows on the plants underneath. Whereas with FL, the light seems to 'go around' the leaves, which minimises the shadows.
In any case, I will try to grow shorter hairgrass/tenellus towards the rear of the tank...on the left rear... thanks for the input!! :D

chavez: great to see a fellow AB member here too! :)

chavez/ralph: Barclaya L is a fairly robust plant. In my pics, there are some dark brownish leaves still on plant. These are from the original growth. The brighter red colours are solely the new growth.
My experience with the plant is limited to growing it in this tank, but this is what I found/believe to assist growth:
1. Trim the roots (leaving about 1.5inches) before planting. This will promote root growth so the plant will be better off in the long term.
2. Add just a little substrate fertiliser near the roots.
3. Substrate heating........ The area which the plant is found tend to be quite warm, similar with crypts.... Substrate circulation is very advantageous. I dont think that circulation caused by other plant roots is the same thing. This is where (substrate heating with laterite) = chelating medium, and ability to bind phosphates in the substrate (near the roots) assist in their growth.

Beware.....the statements are only through my personal understanding and observations, not through any methodical or quantifiable steps.... :P

Ralph: Are you talking about the purplish plant? The one directly behind the protroduing part of the left driftwood? If that is the one, then I dont know the scientific name.... ;D I am trying to find out what it is, as it was sold under its common name (which escapes me atm).

Ralph
12-04-2002, 09:52 PM
I didn't describe it very well, it is a bright green with very thin leaves coming off the vertical stem. I couldn't find it in any of my books and I don't remember seeing it in a store. It would go well with my swords though, I think.

b3dlam
12-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Ralph,

If I guessed right, you are referring to the Eustralis stellata... the Christmas willow....

Its a relatively easy plant to grow, its not demanding in terms of general conditions..... worth a try i think :)

Ralph
12-05-2002, 10:04 AM
I checked Tropica and that is the one I was talking about. Now the hard part, I have to find it somewhere. My LFS can do some special orders on plants if it is on their suppliers list. I don't need enough plants to do a mail order, yet anyways.
Thanks