PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Breeding Success

rcdg
12-04-2002, 04:47 PM
I have been reading about all the breeding sucess that hobyists are having on the forum. Congrats! Maybe some day I'll have learned enough to give it a try. But for now I wonder what you do with all those babies? Sell them to LFS?
If so how much do you get for them? I think it would be interesting to hear those success stories!! Please share!!!

darcy
12-04-2002, 04:52 PM
That's a good question!! I never thought what I will do with all the little guys!! There are not many discus people here. :'( :'( I guess I'll find out in the months to follow once my fry are ready to be sold. I'm sure one of the lfs will take some off my hands but probably not very many.
Darcy

EthanCote.com
12-04-2002, 04:56 PM
Hey Darcy where are you located?

And what babies will you have for sale? Perhaps you can try shipping them? Just a thot.

Cheers,

Chi.

darcy
12-04-2002, 05:03 PM
Chi
I'm in Southern Alberta. The babies I have on the go are turqxss. They are only a week old or so! I have to wait and see if I can them alive first!!
I'm getting better at this artifical raising, have to see what develops!!
Now hopefully when I get home tonight the PB and Cobalt that spawned last night are male and female, and hopefully the eggs are fertilized!!
Darcy

EthanCote.com
12-04-2002, 05:27 PM
Wish u luck ;)

Cheers,

Chi.

DavidH
12-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Darcy,
you talk about artificial raising, can you expand on this and tell me how you are going about it.
thx Dave

darcy
12-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Dave go back to the last page of this board and Al(brewmaster15) has an article on artifical raising. It's alot of work and I failed a couple times, but now I think I sorta have it figured out!! At least my babies are still alive and this week 2.
HTH
Darcy

limige
12-09-2002, 10:18 PM
darcy, few q's for you and brew. how do you transfer the pvc from tank to tank without hurting the eggs at all? do you expose them to air or do you have a method of keeping them in water?

darcy
12-09-2002, 11:13 PM
limige
I just reach in the tank and grab the pvc cone and gently take it out and gently put back into the hatch out tank. I expose the cone to the air and it doesn't seem to effect the eggs at all. I've also taken the cone out of a tank upstairs and had to walk down two floors to the basement and still have had a decent hatch out!! All in all I would say I have had eggs exposed to the air for no longer than 30 to 40 seconds.
Darcy

limige
12-10-2002, 08:29 AM
interesting, how does your pairs react when you pull the eggs? do they tend to spawn real quick again or do they get pissed at first and stop for alittle longer? seems to me they wouldn't be very happy campers, hehe. maybe i'll try that sometime and see what happens when they don't eat them!

darcy
12-10-2002, 10:29 AM
I don't give the pair a chance to eat them I take the cone out a little while after they are done spawning. This last time they got a little upset. Now they have spawned again and this is the second day and they have not attempted to eat the eggs!!!! A little fighting going on but nowhere near as bad as before. Maybe by taking their eggs they are pissed enough or scared enough to raise them on their own!!!! We'll see.
Darcy