PDA

View Full Version : titanium heaters

12-06-2002, 08:00 PM
Ok,
my cheapo submersible heaters are not keeping temps as accurately as i feel they should, considering the investment they are protecting. So, I'd like to take recommendations for titanium heaters to get - brand names and models. They sell them on ebay, so i very well may get them there. Also list whether you've had any problems with them as well as how high the temps go....
thanks,
brad

DREW
12-06-2002, 08:23 PM
I dropped mine four feet off the hardwood floor and and nothing happened to it. Its been keeping accurate temps so far. You can buy them from foster and smith.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=8169

Drew

Discusgeo
12-06-2002, 08:31 PM
Bradnc check with Albert at the following link. He is selling them and they are cheaper thru him than DrsFostersmith. Beside they are out of them anyway.
George

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=4365

jdr3366
12-06-2002, 08:58 PM
I have the model of the Pro Heat Titanium Heater Drew is referring to. There are two things that I didn't like about it and have kept it in the box as a back-up in case my other heater stops working.

First, the dial for setting the temperature is free rotating. There is no way that I could find to lock it at the desired temperature. This means that anyone or thing that rubs against it can easily change the temperature setting.

The other thing is that the dial is hard to read. The temperature, the dial, and the rest of the plastic housing are the same color. I had to mark it with a magic marker.

The same company has another model that I believe overcomes these deficiencies (IMO).

Good luck

John R

Liz_Streithorst
12-06-2002, 10:19 PM
I have the Pro Heat Titanium and love it. But once I got the temp set to where I wanted it I put a piece of scotch tape over the dial so that it wouldn't get changed accidently.

12-06-2002, 11:30 PM
what do u think about the new digital display titanium thermometers - is that really neccessary?

limige
12-07-2002, 06:08 AM
i really think the dig ones are just too much money for a heater. personally i don't go fooling around the plugs enough to worry about bumping the dial. i have one of the won pro heats and love it. maybe if i bought the 1000 watt one i might would spring for the digital gauge otherwise i'm happy with the dial.

titanium heaters :thumbsup:
250watt for $25 at the lfs

limige
12-07-2002, 06:10 AM
ps, my only complaint was that the the temp controls were attached to the plug and it messes up using power stirps :thumbsdown:

12-07-2002, 05:11 PM
thanks for the replies all.

For the Pro Heat I's, are there actually temp marks on the dial? And if so, how accurate are the numbers they provide? Looks like I'm starting to lean towards those.

Brad

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-08-2002, 12:52 AM
Brad
Several months ago I purchase six 300 watt titanium pro heat.
I don't like the fact that the plug is on the control, and I think they are way over rated. I have them in 65 gallon tanks in my garage and it is all they can do to hold 82 degrees, all other brands of 300 watt glass heaters have no problem holding a higher temp in the garage which is cool this time of year.
I have taken the pro heat 300 watters and put them in my 29 gallon tanks and they are fine there.
I would consider the VI AQUA heater as the plug is seperate from the control. And they are the same price as PRO HHEAT, how ever both are made in China I didn't know this or I probably wouldn't have bought them.
Dennis

12-08-2002, 01:13 PM
Any one else have problems with the Pro Heat's keeping temps??? All my tanks are inside....

Brad

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Brad
I am not sure I was saying the pro heat had trouble keeping temp, they seem fine when I put them in smaller tanks. But I would compare thier 300 watt by what volume it will heat more like a 100 or 150 watt. I think the wattage is over rated.
Dennis

Liz_Streithorst
12-08-2002, 10:01 PM
Dennis, I wonder if you could have gotten a bad one or something? I have a 350 watt in my 125 and it holds a toasty 84. Actually, I used to have another heater in with it but I mistakenly started thinking that the titanium was a 500 watt and took the other heater out to use in another tank. I heat the house mostly with wood with gas as a back up and while I'm at work the house temp drops several degrees as the wood is burned up. But the tank is always still at 84 when I get home.

Liz

RichieE
12-09-2002, 12:23 PM
The room temperature the tank is in has a large impact on how well a heater works. I suspect Dennis's cold garage Is why his experience is different than Liz. His observation that the titanium 300 watt heats like a glass 150 is interesting. Are the titanium heaters useing more power to heat less? Has anyone else noticed this? Rich

Jeff
12-09-2002, 12:34 PM
I have been using the Via Aquas 300s now for a few months. So far I like them. They hold the temp well and even at 90.

12-09-2002, 12:39 PM
I can get the pro heats a bit cheaper because of the fella that sells them here on simply. I was going to do 2 300s in my 125 and a 150 in my 29, does anyone have experience with the pro heats in this type of setup, and if so, can they hold temp, all the way up to 93?
thanks,
brad