PDA

View Full Version : Is this tank safe?

wo
12-07-2002, 01:40 PM
Hi,

Two days I bought this tank (4.2"x2"x2"). The front glass is curved so I can't figure out the volume of water. But I know it must exeed 100 gallon. The each one piece of glass including the front curved one is only 5MM thick. I wonder will it hold the water pressure? (Each glass with "Safelit tempered"printed on.) It was bought in a local aquarium without brand so I am afraid that one day it will explode. Does any one know what happen when a tempered glass explode? Do people get hurt? Wow! Just think the 500 liters on the ground. How long will it take to clear those water!!!!!!!!!!

Jaie
12-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Fully tempered glass is used in many applications because of its strength and safety characteristics. It effectively resists wind pressure and impact, provides safety in many applications such as automobile windshields. When tempered glass breaks, the glass fractures into small, relatively harmless fragments. This reduces the likelihood of injury to people as there are no jagged edges or sharp shards. I would say your tank is okay provided the seam sealants are of good quality and can hold the volume.

Safelit? If you meant Safelite, then it is a brand name of tempered glass.

On the dimensions you mentioned, I take it you meant feet (') as opposed to inches (") and in that case your tank is roughly 16.8 cubic feet or 125.7 US Gallons.

hope that helps.

Mick M
12-08-2002, 09:51 AM
Are you sure it's an aquarium?

If I was to purchase a fish tank that size it would have to be a minimum of 10mm thick with a base of at least 12mm.
It could have been made for a vivarium?

You certainly wouldn't want that to spring a leak!!!!!!

wo
12-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Hi,

Thanks to Jaie and Mike M for answering my question. First of all, I made a mistake with "; it should be '. Secondly, the word printed on each glass is "safelit". I searched the web for this brand with no effort. I guess it is on purpose to name a similiar spelling the hope to confuse people. The car windshield are quite expensive. And my tank cost me only USD120.- including the wood shelf. For such a large tank, to tell the truth I am quite regret to buy it. It was OK when I saw it in the aquarium. But when they delivered, it take two guys to carry the tank. I live on the 4th floor of a department. After they were gone I found there were quite a few long scrach on the bottom. I guess the tank was to heavy that they had to rest on the stair way to my home. I am now quite worried if it is a scrach or breakage. And Mike -to tell the truth. I am also very worried about the thickness of the glass. But I already pay them and they wouldn't let me to return. So I post here hoping to get some advise. I hope it will stand for 5 years at least. By that time all my discus are all in heaven(if they do not reproduce). I can quit the tank. The biggest problem is----------- WE DO HAVE EARTHQUAKE. Well, God bless me.......
Thanks!

jeep
12-08-2002, 03:39 PM
I've see bow-fronts from 5gal to 49 (mine) to 75 to 125 and 155.

There should be a plastic strip running from front to back that provides a lot of outward support. The tank itself looks ok, but from the picture the stand looks a little top heavy. If so you might try attaching it to the wall for support...

OEG
12-08-2002, 04:00 PM
hi WO,
I think the scratch on the bottom is just that, a scratch.If it wer a crack tempered glass doesnt split apart it allways breaks into tiny peaces.....but when you fill listen for any weird noises if you hear any stop filling!! ;)
OEG

wo
12-09-2002, 01:54 PM
Thanks to Jeep and OEG. Thanks to the advise. I am trying to move the tank. But I am a little worried if the tank is lean on the wall. Because when years ago, the big earth quake had destroyed many tanks that was placed directly by the wall. About the stand there are 8cm(diameter) round wood column by each side in the front which does not show on the pic. Thanks!

Wahter
12-12-2002, 12:17 PM
Hi Wo,

How are things in Taiwan? I was just in Taipei about 3 weeks ago.

You might want to try a sheet of styrofoam between the aquarium tank and the stand and between the stand and the floor to provide a slight cushion.

I don't think you should literally have the tank leaning against the wall, but if the floor might be stronger if you put the tank near one of the main supporting walls. Not sure, however, what effects an earthquake would have over there - where is the least 'movement' inside a building? Perhaps someone from San Francisco, California or Japan could help with some suggestions.

Walter

wo
12-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Hi Wahter,

It's getting cold in Taipei. How about in the States? It must be quite cold already. Thanks for your advise. I already put baby-crawling soft pads between the tank and stand. Will it work the same? Thanks!

Don_Lee
12-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Hi Wo,

I would recommend posting a question in the general discussion forum regarding your concerns about your aquariums stability. There is alot more traffic there, and several members on the board are very familiar with such issues.

Don ;D

wo
12-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Thanks Don. I am repost my question in the general discussion forum now.