PDA

View Full Version : PERCH EGGS

jim_shedden
12-08-2002, 04:35 PM
I do a lo0t of ice fishing in Northern Ontario and we catch a lot of perch. Well at this time of year the femals are full of bright orange eggs. Has anyone ever feed fish eggs to discus before. I think it would be fine I would just like some opinions first.

Jim

12-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Jim...

Ive heard of Asian breeders feeding lobster and fish roe. Once upon a time....probably about 6 or 8 years ago I threw a bunch of Northern pike eggs(probably about 1 cup/2 lbs) into a batch of beef heart. I didnt notice any real advantages or disadvantages. I can tell you it didnt harm them in any way though.
Ive never tried it since.

Tony

gary1218
12-09-2002, 12:25 AM
I think it's an excellent food source. Maybe a little fattening. I used to buy fish eggs from the super market. The discus LOVED them but it got a little expensive.

I had a cheap source for salmon eggs a little while back but they ended up being a little to large even for adult discus mouths. I tried them mashed up in a beef heart recipe but it got real messy.

If you don't want the perch eggs, or you have extras, feel free to send them along :) :D ;D

GARY

jouniv
12-09-2002, 12:39 AM
Hi Jim

I used to do A LOT of ice fishing. We also have ice fishing competitions in Finland with national title competition having over 8000 people. It is very different to what I've seen in Canada (cabins etc.). When ice fishing it is not unusual to walk 5-10 km per day. In competition, many run far far away from the starting line... you know how fisherman are. In 95% of competitions, perch (European perch, Perca fluviatilis) is the only fish that counts. Catches are usually between 4-8 kg for 6 hours, but can be as high as 20-30 kg on the Baltic sea (1/5 salinity of full sea water, perch and pike etc. do great there). In lakes, fish average perhaps only 30-50 grams whereas they are 100-200 grams in the Baltic. Pls tell me more about your fishing Jim.

OK eggs for discus. I have tried with no success. My fish didn't touch it. I didn't try it in beefheart mix, since I also heard that it contains a repellent (a proper word?), tastes bad to fish to protect the eggs from predators. So if you try it, don't mix a ton.

Jouni

jim_shedden
12-09-2002, 01:54 PM
Jouni : Do you know that I now live in an area that has the 2nd largest population of Finns outside of Finnland? Sudbury, Ontario, Canada has more Finnish people than anywhere. Both of my neighbours are Finns. Lots of Maki's , Kaipenen's, Kalpi's &Korpi's around here. As for ice fishing my kids and I are out at least 3 time a week. If you want I will send you some pictures. We catch a lot of pike , perch, trout, whitefish & walleye (zander ?).

Jim

jim_shedden
12-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Gary : We caught about 40 jumbo perch yesterday. About 34 were females. I have saved the eggs. I drop a few into the adult tank and they looked at me like I was an idiot. I am going to keep trying though. I am freezing them all. I would assume that they would be very high in protein.

Jim

gary1218
12-09-2002, 11:55 PM
I'm sure once they take a chance and try one you won't have ANY trouble getting them to eat the rest :)

GARY

jouniv
12-10-2002, 02:48 AM
Jim: pictures would be great! You can drop them at jouni.vielma@rktl.fi

Perch is by far the most common ice fishing catch, but zander (pikeperch), pike, whitefish and even trout can be caught but then you have to go especially after them. How are the Finns there, have they still a distinct character or are they more or less melted within the other nationalities?

I still think perch eggs simply turn other fish OFF due to a specific chemical but maybe your perch is different to the european perch in that sense.

Jouni

limige
12-10-2002, 09:02 AM
umm, wouldn't that be the same as feeding home breed guppies???????

great source of nutrition but molding bad parenting habits?

jim_shedden
12-10-2002, 09:14 AM
I was wondering about that myself. It might build in some bad traits. Good point.

Jim

12-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Jim, The Jumbo perch run every fall, a few miles off the shoreline of lake Erie. Talk about a good time... It's by far my favorite fish to eat. As far as sport fishing goes nothing beats the bass trips. We go over to Canada (Pele Island) for small mouth :-)

I have fed Lobster and Walleye Eggs to my discus and they never seemed to care for them. They would pick at them over time but never showed any serious interest.

Mike

jim_shedden
12-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Hey Mikey : Comon up this summer. I agree perch are the best and Point Pelee is awesome. There is a lake that is 5 minutes from home that has so many perch in it that the Ministry of Natural Resources asks you to take out as many perch as you can. last weekend we brought home 122 jumbo's and had a huge fishfry with all the neighbours. Speaking of smallmouth bass ............. we caught one on this same lake last August that was 7 pounds 2 oz. We took a scale sample and measurements and let it go. The MNR told me it was at least 13 years old. Its still swimming. I can easily be bought................. ;D Come up in August with 20- 3" discus so that I can do my little experiment at the cottage on Lake Penage and we will go out fishing for the rest of the week. :bounce:

Jim

P.S. : Your red melons would be nice........... ;D
Jim

jim_shedden
12-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Speaking of garlic. I added some to the perch eggs and they seemed to be more aggresive towards them.

Jim

12-10-2002, 11:56 AM
You know Jim, I may just have to take you up on that offer. We haven't had a family vacation in a few years and I love the outdoors. My boys are at that age.... 8 & 9yrs. They asked Santa for BB guns and fishing Rods. Man I need to get them out of the city.... permanently! How far north of Buffalo is your cottage?

We got into some nice smallies this year but nothing over 4-5lbs

Mike

12-10-2002, 11:57 AM
another

12-10-2002, 11:58 AM
The Wife even caught a few.

PS: Thats Pele in the background.

Mike

brewmaster15
12-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Jim, how close are you to Point Pele?

Its on my must visit list. Its a Bird watchers Mecca, because of the migratory birds it attracts,particularly in the spring.

-al

jim_shedden
12-10-2002, 12:36 PM
I am quite aways away. I live about 5 hours north of Toronto which is about an hour from Buffalo. Look at a map of Ontario and find Sudbury. I live in a small town right beside Sudbury called Lively. It is a real contradiction in terms. If you look a little farther west you will see Lake Penage. Thats were my cottage is. As for the fly way...............it is absolutely impressive. Words cannot describe it. I grew up in the area and one of my best memories was seeing a flock of scarlet tanagers. Apparently as they are flying north they are way up almost in the jet stream and they do not come down until they get to their nesting sites in the far north. I happened to be on the boardwalk at Pelee when a flock of these came in. I was only 12 at the time but it was just like it was yesterday. There had to be thousands of bright red and black birds.............awesome.