PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Extravaganza

DarkDiscus
12-10-2002, 04:10 PM
All,

I thought I would ask my fish cohorts for some advice... My wife and I will be married 1 year on 12/22/02 and obviously Christmas is a few days later. She had a pretty tough time of it around the holidays for many years and it's been hard for her.

She never really got any Christmas presents from anyone (other than her mom and dad) for something like 10 years... So... I promised her I would go overboard this year. In fact, I promised her 22 Christmas presents and a dinner at a top restaurant for our anniversary.

I am now up to 18 presents. I need 4 more, but I'm in brain freeze and can't come up with anything else...

This is the list so far...

2 DVDs (Beauty and the Beast (kinda like our marriage!) and It's a Wonderful Life (She's never seen it!))
3 Books - 2 cookbooks and a decorating book
1 wool scarf
1 fun casual scarf
1 pair of fun slipper/socks with faux mink trim
1 crystal vase in the shape of a fish that she loved when we were on vacation
1 Fenton glass jewelry box
1 crystal ornament
1 pizza stone with accessories
1 belgian waffle maker
1 box of undies (she asked for it!)
1 chrome evening bag with a rhinestone martini on the side
1 Silver/Swarovski crystal choker
1 pair of green amber antique earrings from the 1930s
1 pair of wool pajamas from LL Bean

That's 18... I have a call into my cousin who is a ticket broker trying to get some good broadway tickets...

I am officially burnt out trying to come up with gifts...

Any suggestions? (No fish tank suggestions, please!!!)

John

Carol_Roberts
12-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Books on tape if she commutes
Gift cert. for facial or manicure or hair style at beauty salon
Box of chocolates or other favorite food
Birdbath or other yard decoration if she's a yard person
A really good kitchen knife if she doesn't have one
What does she collect? If nothing start something and add to it every year. Look at the Hallmark store.

Carol :heart1:

alisonty
12-10-2002, 04:36 PM
WOW!!! she is a very lucky lady.

Candles? ;) ;)

BIG christmas card? (homemade ones are very personal)

Swarovski crystals (2 swans facing each other kinda makes a heart) ???

Music stuff (MPC player, CD's)

what about passes to places like aquariums, etc?

hope this helps

alisonty
12-10-2002, 04:37 PM
MPC??? what is that? ::) i mean MP3...

DarkDiscus
12-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Carol,

I thought you would have some good ideas! She likes a LOT of different kinds of food... I'm thinking of trying one of the Williams Sonoma treats... she would like that...

She doesn't commute, so no books on tape. She has several nice knife sets. Hair salon... Hmm... That's possible. She's not a collecty type of person. Cookbooks, maybe, but I've gone that route.

She does like gardeny stuff. I like the birdbath idea, but we don't have much room for one. Maybe a bird feeder/birdhouse or a nice planter - she turned the last one I gave her into a wine rack!

Any other thoughts?

Allison,

Hmm. I don't even know what an MP3 player is! I guess I am out of touch. She's not big into music. But some CDs might work. That's a good thought.

John

Ryan
12-10-2002, 04:45 PM
I agree with the candles idea. I know it's a little late, but if she's into that kind of thing I can give you a really good web address where I ordered some candles.

Is she a cat person? I have three kittens that you could give her ;D

Ryan

midnight1
12-10-2002, 04:46 PM
different colored roses (or other flower) and a bottle of champagne

a trip somewhere (with or without you-lol)

a special christmas tree ornament

DarkDiscus
12-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Ryan,

She does like candles - as Al can tell you we always fire up the candelabra and sit around by candlelight. That's also a thought.

It's a tough time of year for ordering by mail, but if you have an address for me, I'll check it out!

John

DarkDiscus
12-10-2002, 04:52 PM
Midnight,

I'm doing the champagne thing for our anniversary. As for the trip - heh - I'm sure she can use a break from me!

John

brewmaster15
12-10-2002, 05:05 PM
John,
1) name a star for her...you really can do that!
2)Give her( and yourself) a membership to the wine of the month club
3) barnes and nobles gift certificate
4)godiva chocolate ( i'll help you guys eat it)
5) her own discus tank
6) a pass to a day spa

7) a kiss....they are always a good gift, and can be repeatedly given

hth,
al

mench
12-10-2002, 05:33 PM
A MEATLOAF PAN !!!! It's the gift ya can always use and it just shouts I LOVE YOU !!!!! :D 8)

No really,brew has the right idea...A day spa...my bride thought she would never use something like that,boy was she wrong..she loved it..they really do it up at those spa things.
I also found that if ya give her little notes with the words...This intitles the barer to one wish of her choice,within reason of course.....
Another idea is a suprise weekend at a bed and breakfast somewhere in the mountains or on the Hudson river somethere...go online and start searching.
A nice new Prowler,silver in color,with matching trailer...wait no..thats what I want....sorry..lost the train of thought for a sec.. ::)
Well I guess you get the idea,go for the unusual (sp) and try of get her things maybe a little off the wall ,but it will be things she will remember the most,because you took the time to think of them.

But I still say ya can't go wrong with a good meatloaf pan!!!!!! ::)

Good luck

Mench

DarkDiscus
12-10-2002, 05:58 PM
Ron,

I'm sure that meatloaf pan suggestion had NOTHING to do with self serving greedy meatloaf lust on your part...

;)

As far as spas go, she keeps telling me she doesn't like them...

She DID say something about wanting a frog tank... But that would cut into my discus time (and space).

Wine of the month sounds good but it would be more for me than for her!

;D

Chocolate? She would KILL me!

Keep the ideas coming, I'm generating some brainwaves again!

John

jim_shedden
12-10-2002, 06:32 PM
An installed dishwasher if you don't have one. Did Mench say a Meatloaf Pan ? Thats a real good idea too.............. :puke:. I should have thought of that.
How about a weekend escape to a quiet lodge out in the country or better yet a bed and breakfast. I smell bonus points here.......... :bounce:
Oh, Oh.................a sleigh ride. Big points on that one. Or you can get her fish food.

Jim

mench
12-10-2002, 06:53 PM
Jim,do I sence a fellow meatloaf lover?????? Oh as they say,the checks in the mail.......
Himmmmm frog tank,that sounds interesting,maybe a little ten gal or a corner tank with some rocks,plants,and colorful frogs...may have to do that one my own self....

Mench

P.S. Yep John the pan was for me...like I told ya my bride makes the worst type of meat thingie,can't call it meatloaf...so bad the dog wouldn't go near it :P

Steve_Warner
12-11-2002, 03:52 AM
- she turned the last one I gave her into a wine rack!

Hey John, Howzabout something to FILL that wine rack? How about some decorative bottles, filled with oil and veggies....or plants......or a George Foreman grill.....or a telescope.....or some perfume......or some magazine subscriptions.....or some....hmmmm, I've hit the wall! Mench, I'm ROTFLMAO at the Prowler comment. Brew, I like the Star one......my co-worker did this for my boss's dog, who died a few years ago. She REALLY was touched by that!

Steve

DarkDiscus
12-11-2002, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the good suggestions so far! I'm still holding out for some more female answers - maybe they have more insight than us guys. Julz? April? Anyone?

John

12-13-2002, 03:44 PM
John,
DID I READ YOU RIGHT? Your wife is NOT a collector? :o Lucky you, as I thought all women were collectors of something or another... Sounds like a collection is long over due.
OK....
Hmmmm....... :idea2: :idea2: :idea2: :idea2: :idea2: :idea2: :idea2:

Orchids?
Love them have many.

Antiques?
Love them too. (Red Wing Crocks and Spinning Wheels in particular.)

Victoria Secret Scents?... (I know you men hate even walking past the store because of the stench)
Amber Romance is truely the BEST. (little secret.. a lot of the guys at work are buying it up for their wives) :P

Wind Chimes? Can't have too many. I decorate around the house with them as well.

Candles? That was mentioned already, but a GREAT idea.....

I don't know John... I think you're best bet is starting a collection for her. That way each year you can add to it. Only you know what makes her heart go pitter pat. :love:

I will try to think of more..... :P

Julz :)

OK, here is a pic of one of the orchids I collect. Just to entice you.....

DarkDiscus
12-13-2002, 04:37 PM
Julz,

She'd just kill the orchids. I got her an herb garden this summer and we ended up with 'dried herbs.'

She likes antiques, for sure. I have to think of something good...

Hmm..

John

jeep
12-13-2002, 04:44 PM
How about a full aroma therapy massage??? Nothing more relaxing...

12-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Psst.... Orchids go great in fish rooms.... That way you can spend more time together. Can't go wrong with all the humidity and old fish water..... :P

BTW... Dried Herbs are good..... ;D

DarkDiscus
12-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Julz,

Maybe when I have a real fishroom I will consider the orchids.

John

PS. The herbs have to GROW first before you dry them!

12-13-2002, 05:13 PM
:-X :-X :-X :-X

Shows what I know about herbs... heehee

nalah
12-13-2002, 05:31 PM
I know you are trying to make up the "numbers" but why not ellaborate on the ones you have......

eg./champagne b/fast - turn it into an all-nighter at a nice hotel. go early on your own and decorate the room with a touch of romance....you know - candles,organise room service with a couple of nice bottles,etc.. sexy cocktails.. champagne w/- strawberries. (hey! looked good in the movie.LOL)roses, new sexy nighty on the bed. that sort of thing.

its the amount of thought that gets the girl...not always the quantity..

DarkDiscus
12-13-2002, 05:48 PM
Good ideas all!

I have to say, it's nice to have all you folks helping me with the ideas.

Pascale,

I like your idea, I think I may use that one for MY birthday!

;D

John

01-06-2003, 01:28 PM
John,
Your posts today reminded me of this thread. :idea2: So what was the grand finale? Curious to hear what items you chose to complete your list....

DarkDiscus
01-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Julz,

I had an attack of Williams Sonoma, which she loves:

1 ceramic pie dish, color: claret

For her to perfect her apple pies

1 3 french cheese collection

For her (and me!) to eat

1 set of cocktail glasses with fruits/fruit products on them

She told me she liked them ages ago

and

1 Monogramed chef's coat

for my favorite chef!

John

01-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Sounds like you have quite a cook on your hands.... bet that made her very happy. :D

DarkDiscus
01-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Julz,

Yep, both the wife and my belly are happy!

John