PDA

View Full Version : Local Breeders in NC - Charlotte Area

chavez720
12-11-2002, 11:35 AM
Anyone local in Charlotte, NC area? Looking for wilds or red/turq

Paul

12-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Tim at US Discus out in Monroe...30 min from Charlotte. I have some fish from him. Really nice guy w/ some good looking fish.

rkingmd
12-13-2002, 07:36 AM
Is there a web site? Can you park a semi there? I go through Charlotte every week!!

chavez720
12-13-2002, 01:19 PM
www.usdiscus.com

He sells on aquabid also as ubonsai

Sent him an email the other day and am waiting for a response.

12-13-2002, 05:00 PM
I don't think Tim check's e-mail too often...give him a call. I don't think a truck will fit in his driveway. Haha. I'm sure you could park on the street in front of his house though, it's right off of 74 (Monroe Rd.)

usdiscus
12-15-2002, 11:21 AM
Hi, Tim from U. S. Discus in Monroe. Sounds like I dont check my e-mail, but try getting me at tthimios@aol.com. If your coming out call us for directions 704 226-1555. thanks, Tim

chavez720
12-15-2002, 12:04 PM
Tim - Good to hear from you! Will be looking to purhcase some discus in the coming year - restocking after a mishap - ICESTORM.

Paul

Wahter
12-18-2002, 06:19 PM
Tim's a nice guy - I'm planning on making another visit soon!

Walter

chavez720
12-18-2002, 06:33 PM
Wahter -

Tell me when you come into town would like to join you on your trip. Maybe some plant trading also. You can also give me some tips on the micro tennellus - seems to have not responded well the last few weeks - poor growth.

Will try and get all the plant heads together maybe we can have a good visit.

Regards,

Paul

Wahter
12-19-2002, 01:38 PM
Paul, one time I had a nice lawn of the tenellus and lost it too - the 'crop' I have now is the second time I've kept this plant. I think the first time was because I used to filter my water over carbon for 24 hours to remove the chlorine before adding it to my tanks and in the process, stripped away some vital nutrients for the plants too. Now I just use straight tap water and the plants are doing fine. I also use some calcium pills, Tropica's Mastergrow, Azoo's red plant nutrients, and Tetra's cichlid vitale (I know, sounds like a chemical dump, but even the sensitive Amano shrimp, caridina japonica, have stopped climbing out of the tank and my zebra pl*co seems fine too). I do weekly 50-60% water changes too. I have also upgraded to compact fluorescent lighting too (but total wattage is about the same).

I brought some extra tenellus swords to our plant group meeting this last weekend, but Phil didn't show up. :( I still have a few and am planning to sell some at the RAS auction at the end of Feb.

www.fishclubs.com/nc/ras/

Always see strange results at the auction - one year I sold a huge mother rubin sword and it only went for $13.00; yet I've had people pay $12.00+ for 4 vallisneria and you can buy those at the LFS for $1.00 each! Same thing happened last year with ammania - 7 tall pink stems for only $7.00! The bolbitis and the anubias saved me though.

Hope these tips help.

Walter

ChloroPhil
12-19-2002, 02:05 PM
Walter,

Let me know whenever you want to come down. I'd love to show you my stuff and unload some cuttings for the folks up there who lost their stock to the storm.

How tall is your tenellus getting right now? When I saw it last it was about 4 inches tall at the highest. My regular tenellus is growing HUGE and I might be convinced to switch to the "micro".

Wahter
12-19-2002, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that when the tenellus swords get crammed in together, they will grow a bit taller. I have to thin them out periodically - removing the larger 'mother' plants and keeping the smaller plantlets.

I have to see how large a rubin plantlet of mine grows in 2 months; I might sell the mother plant in the RAS auction (although the other mother rubin I had didn't sell well - see above).

Walter

chavez720
12-19-2002, 11:13 PM
wahter see you in raleigh