PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to use aged water in this situation?

Mykuhl
12-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone. I need some advice. I understand that it is recommeded to age water so the pH stablizes, but my question is can I get away with adding a percentage of water directly from the tap using a Python, and not shock or cause any negative effects to my fish? The pH directly out of the tap tests at 7.2 and after ageing it for a day it tests at 7.6. What percentage if any can I replace using a Python?

Francisco_Borrero
12-12-2002, 01:04 PM
why would you want to do that ?

Carol_Roberts
12-12-2002, 05:45 PM
Is the pH in your fish tank (prior to a water change) also 7.6? If yes, you can do 25% wc, If higher than 7.6 in fish tank post #.
Carol :heart1:

12-12-2002, 05:46 PM
it's probably not a good idea to put that much Chlorine into your tank - in fact it could be disastrous, but some very reputable people (COUGH cary COUGH COUGH) do it after acclimating fish to it. It would be much better for your fish to age the water though. Temperature of the water you put into the tank is annother consideration, as you want it to match the tank water.
HTH
Brad

Carol_Roberts
12-13-2002, 02:58 AM
Ooooopppsss!!!
I forgot about chlorine - I'm on a well and only worry about pH swings. Thank you Brad for catching that!
Carol :heart1:

Ivan
12-13-2002, 06:21 PM
whats chlorine got to do with anything? If we do huge WC every day, Chlorines aren't a problem for fish (in the small amounts that come out of the tap). Filter bacteria don't like it tho' ;)

jeep
12-13-2002, 06:51 PM
Chlorine will kill your fish. Just because someone's lucky enough to get away without treating for it a few times (or many times) doesn't mean it won't catch up to you later on.

Water companies are facing different kinds of problems every day, from water main breaks to seasonal changes to bacterial blooms. They treat the changes by adjusting chlorine and chlorimine levels. Just because there's "x" amount of chlorine in the water today doesn't mean it'll be constant tomorrow...

Basically, it's not worth the risk!

Mykuhl
12-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am not concerened with the chlorine or chloramines in my tap water when using a Phython since I will be adding the appropriate treatment to remove this as I fill the tank with water. Concerning the temperature of the water going into the tank, it will be adjusted to match the temp in my tank before I add the new water.

Richman
12-14-2002, 01:25 AM
I fill my tanks in the way you have just described. I add Amquel when I begin running the water, some more when half full, and a bit more when full. I have HOB filters on every tank even where I have sponge filters. I turn the filters off when I begin draining and don't turn them on till all water is treated. Just a precaution so I don't lose bacteria. Works like a charm. At least so far and the fish have no problem. I adjust water temp so that it runs into the tank within a couple of degrees of the original temp. Have gotten good enough at it that I can adjust the temp just by feeling it.

Mykuhl
12-14-2002, 03:15 AM
Richman, how what percentage of water do you changew this way?

Richman
12-14-2002, 10:33 AM
I change 80 to 90 percent of water every other day. My ph is 6.8 at the tap and shows no significant change when aged in the tank. Don't know why. That's just the way it is. If I had ph swings I wouldn't try this.

Mykuhl
12-14-2002, 01:17 PM
What do you mean by a "significant change"? How much does you Ph change? My water goes up from 7.2/7.4 to 7.6/7.8, is this too much of a change?

Richman
12-14-2002, 01:57 PM
If I test my water out of the tap right now, it will be 6.8 to 6.9. If I leave it in the tank for a couple of days it is the same. I don't think the change you are talking about is significant. If you try it and the fish seem stressed, don't do it. To be on the safe side, do a 50 percent change daily. It is better and slows down the affects of any changes in your water. I do a larger change every other day because of my scheduling. Just works better for me and my fish don't mind. 50 percent daily is better, especially if you have a change in the ph. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be afraid to try it. See what works for you.

Mykuhl
12-14-2002, 02:01 PM
Thank you Richman for the advice :).

Mykuhl
12-14-2002, 02:06 PM
Carol, I don't know the value of the pH in the tank prior to a water change because I do not have discus yet ;D. I am doing research now and asking questions. Thank you.

jeep
12-14-2002, 02:28 PM
Just remember, even though a large ph swing is not a good idea, a quick ph move up is not ab bad ad a quick ph drop. Both can stress your fish out, but a large fast drop can be lethal...

Ivan
12-15-2002, 05:21 PM
Chlorine usually evaporates before it can damage the fish IMO. In any case, I prefilter my tap water in a big green butt with activated carbon and preheat it, before it goes anywhere near my Discus. Before that I would use a dechlor, because I didn't want to harm the filter bacteria, nothing else.
Ivan