PDA

View Full Version : sick eyes?

Joel R
12-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Hello all,

I got 9 Discus a few weeks ago & most of them went through a bacterial infection shortly after they arrived. All are better now but I have at least two that have something wrong with their eyes. To best describe it, it looks like a raisin (the tissue where the eye meets the socket) It looks as if the eye is dehydrated or some eye fluid has leaked out or something. Is this normally caused by a bacterial inf. or is this something I should be worried about? I have included a pic, I know it's not the best but you can get an idea of what is going on.

Okay,, I hit preview but I'm not seeing the pic I attached???? Can someone help me here?
Here is a url of the same pic I tried to attach. http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/5341sickeye.JPG

Here is the check list.

Physical condition of the fish
1. visible parasites (describe) no
2. stringy feces no
3. head standing no
4. bloated/ constipated no
5. Hole in the head, lateral line erosion Lateral line erosion during the bact. inf.
6. spots, salt like flecks, velvety appearance,cotton like growths etc. no
7. excessive slime production no
8. labored breathing, dysfunctional gill no
9. cloudy eyes no
10.darkened color no
11. faded color one does
12. other unusual changes... just the eye thing

Water parameters
1. pH? 7.0 - 7.4
2. Temperature… 89F
3. hardness? 3* KH
4. conductivity?
5. TDS? ?
6. R/O (reverse osmosis) filtered, or Tap (well or chlorinated city water), rain water Tap
7. Water change regime? ( example .. 30 % daily, weekly monthly etc) 30-50% daily
8. appearance (cloudy, green , clear, yellowish etc) Clear
9. Odor (smells clean or sulfur-lit match smell-anaerobic indicator) none

Tank parameters
1. Size in gallons/liters? 29gl
2. Substrate.? (bare glass, gravel, sand..) bare bottom
3. Planted? n
4. Drift wood? N

Filter types
1 Wet/dry?
2. Canister?
3. hanging box( aquaclear whisper etc)? Whisper & Power head with quick filt.
4. sponges?
5. supplemental Peat filter?
6. supplemental air?
7. Carbon, resin exchanges, ammo-chips etc

Lighting( Important for algae problems and plant growth)
1. Hood Std. Flou. hood
2. bulb type size, watts, spectrum (ex 5000K daylight)
3. light/dark cycle (number hours on/off) Aprox. 14 hrs. on

General….
1. Diet(what and how often do you feed you fish? Formula 1, Jack waltly discus, blood worms
2. Other tank occupants than discus? no
3. How many Discus in your tank? 9 21/2 - 3 in
4. How long have you had them? 3-4 wks.
5. Where did you get them (breeder/ Local Fish Shop -LFS) Breeder
6. Tank and filter cleaning schedule? wipe down glass every couple days, rinse filters weekly.
7. Medications/ salt treatments recently used or tried to treat this problem? Used Mela Fix, heat , & Salt for the Bacterial inf. Still using the heat & salt.

brewmaster15
12-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Hi, Its really hard to tell from the pic, but from your description it sounds likes the fish had Popeye? swollen eyes? Sometimes the swelling can be so bad as to rupture the eye from the pressure.

I'm sorry to say it but odds are if that has occurred the fish will be blind in that eye, and may be susceptible to further infection. Can you take a better pic?

What kind of bacterial problem did they have?

-al

Joel R
12-12-2002, 02:11 PM
If they had Popeye, it was before I got them. I am familiar of what that looks like. I hadn't noticed it before the Bacterial inf., that doesn't mean that it wasn't there though. " the way the eyes are now, not pop eye"

I know the pic is a bad one. The fish won't stay still. I had cropped & enlarged it a bit. To make out what I was trying to show in the pic. The top of the eye looks like it was pinched together causing it to kind of look like this ^ where it should be round. Or more like if you pinched the top of a round ball of clay.??? making sense?

I don't know what kind of Bacterial infection they had. They turned dark, fins started degrading, lateral line became pitted, & just looked horrible.
They have all recovered. One still doesn't look quite right but it is coming around.

Joel R.