PDA

View Full Version : Looking for equipment

Jason60625
12-13-2002, 05:14 PM
I'm a recent transplant from California who had to leave all of his tanks behind to attend graduate school in Chicago. I'll be moving soon to a larger apartment and think it's time to start the hobby again.

I used to breed angels, Bolivian rams (Microgeophagus altispinosa), brown discus (called Hong Kong blue at one point in California, axelrodi, i think), brasilienis and Bosemani rainbows.

I'm looking for standard 20-gallon tanks in the Chicago area, sponge filters, hoods, etc. If anyone knows where I can get cheap new equipment, I'd appreciate it. I order most things online, but it's still impossible to order a glass tank online. The aquarium shops in Chicago, especially Old Town, are a rip-off compared to California. I would appreciate tips regarding suburban stores, etc.

Thanks for your help and maybe soon I'll be posting baby discus and altum angelfish for sale.

By the way, is Chicago water okay as is, or do I have to invest in an RO system?

Cormorant
12-13-2002, 07:42 PM
Welcome in the Windy City Jason. There is nothing better than trading nasty California weather for our mild Chicago winter, is there? ;D .
On the serious note, if you need 20gal right away your best bet is Petsmart :-\ , you can get 20gal with hood for around $50, 29gal w/hood - $70 and 55gal w/hood- $100.
If you are willing to wait about a month GlassCages is coming to town on Jan, 19 for our GCCA swap meeting. here is their website / prices.
http://65.197.157.223/newto/pages/main.asp
If you need sponge filters or heaters email me at Abucardinal@ameritech.net or just give me a call 773-392-3502.
I'm glad you found us here. This is the best Discus forum on the net. Stick around.

Albert

midnight1
12-13-2002, 08:15 PM
sponge filters - look at aquabid - kensfish.
other items - online at drsfostersmith.com

tanks let me know it might be worth a trip up to milwaukee - they aren't too bad around here

paul