PDA

View Full Version : brine shrimp

hunterbeav
12-13-2002, 11:04 PM
this is a brine shrimp hatchery setup :)

hunterbeav
12-15-2002, 12:08 AM

12-15-2002, 02:30 AM
how about adding a little explanation for those of us that don't have a hatchery going. That way we'll know what to do when the time comes.

12-15-2002, 02:37 AM
pretty niffty Hunterbeau...... how does it work, how much water, shrimp and salt, and how many can be produced with this Mcguiver?? Please list for those who do not know.....

hunterbeav
12-15-2002, 03:28 AM
OK I'll try to explane the way it's suppose to work . As you can see I use a piece of wood. Drill a hole in it the size of the 2 liter pop bottle cap, but not all the way through. Push pop cap in hole, and drill a hole through cap a little smaler then the size of air tubeing so you get a tight fit. Put 4 nails in the bottom to make a stand and to give me some working room. Use a T splitter, 1 line runs from the air pump to the T then put a piece of air line from top of T into the pop cap. Now the other end of the T put a piece of air tubeing with a valve to drain the bbs when ready. Look at top pic it will make sence to you!! Lastly cut bottoms off the plastic 2 liter bottles and screw into caps. Now your ready. I use 1 liter of declorinated water, 2 tablespoons of non-Iodized salt and 1/2 teaspoon of shrimp. If your ph in your water is below 8 add 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda to bring ph up to 8 you will get a better hatch rate. Also I use a desk light with a 40 watt bulb to keep temp at 80 deg. Takes about 24 hrs to hatch shrimp. You should set 2 of these up and start 1 and 24 hrs latter start the other that way you have fresh bbs every day. You should only feed them for 1 day then rinse out the bottle and start a new batch everyday alternating back and forth. Good luck :) PS: I use expoxy glue to hold the airtubeing in the pop cap, put tubeing in cap first then put glue around it so as not to close the end of the tubeing with glue!!!!!

Jeff
12-16-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey Jim,

This is what I have to play with.

darcy
12-17-2002, 10:12 AM
Hunter
so then I imagine you leave the tube in the cap open with no air stone?
I'll have to try your method although I prefer to have the bottles in a tank to keep the temp up.
Darcy

12-19-2002, 01:00 AM
Thanks Hunterbeav!!!! ;D

hunterbeav
12-19-2002, 01:01 AM
Your welcome Weezy :)