PDA

View Full Version : New Tank

jklnbrg
12-14-2002, 10:49 AM
My new 150 was delivered yesterday! This weekend will be spent moving the 75 out of my home office and moving the 150 in. The 75 will go to the family room to become the bare bottom home to young discus not yet purchased. The 150 will be planted and will become the home to some of the young discus once they grow out. I love Discus, I love my planted tanks. Gotta put the two together.

If ya'll are intersted I'll post pics showing the tank's progress as it moves from a big glass ube to an Amazonian Discus Biotype.

John

Ralph
12-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi John,
Can't wait to see your pictures. I like progress pictures especially with details of what is going on. It is great to see the plants filling out as the design developes. You can post the pics right on this thread if you want.
Have fun this weekend, I hope you have help.

jklnbrg
12-26-2002, 09:04 PM
It took forever but I finally got the images out of my digital camera. Here is the new tank just after my sons and I got it positioned in my home office. The dimensions are: 64 x 24x 24 (150 gals)

jklnbrg
12-26-2002, 09:12 PM
A few hours late I had washed 8 bags of Flourite and moved some plants from my 75 I had a start. CO2 Injection from a 5lb cylinder, 300 watts of Compact fluorescent lights and 2 Ebo Jaeger 250 watt heaters (gotta hide them better!)
Anyway.. it's a start.

Don_Lee
12-26-2002, 09:53 PM
Looks great! Looks like you have a great base for a beautiful tank!

Don ;D

Tad
12-26-2002, 10:30 PM
A very beautiful looking setup...Is that Cherrywood? or a dark Walnut? ....Looks like you had a wonderful Xmas,

regards,
Tad

jklnbrg
12-26-2002, 10:54 PM
Tad,
The finish is called "Cherry Mahogany'. The manufacturer is Dutch Aquarium Systems in Dallas.

dm
12-26-2002, 11:11 PM
It looks great. You won't be getting much work done in your office with that beautiful tank in there. :)

ChloroPhil
12-27-2002, 11:02 AM
That's a gorgeous tank!!!!! I love how you placed your wood, it's got a lot of character. Tell me, is that E. tenellus or Saggitaria subdulata in the foreground?

I can't wait to see some discus in there!

RAWesolowski
12-27-2002, 07:19 PM
You must have been a very, very good boy! I hope Santa remembers to bring the discus.

jklnbrg
12-31-2002, 05:57 PM
Bio.. It's E. tenellus in the foreground.

It looks like the tank is in the last stage of New Tank Syndrome (the bacterial bloom is dying back). I'll try to post another pic this evening or tomorrow. I have ordered more plants but won't receive them until January. Also in January is when I'll be ordering 10 - 12 juvinile discus to grow out in a barebottom 75
I'm torn betweeen waiting to place Discus in this tank until after the Juvi's grow or if I should buy 4 - 5 Adults. (hmmmm I can always tell my wife the adults were cheaper than the new sail I want for my sailboat! ;D

ChloroPhil
12-31-2002, 06:24 PM
After doing the bb thing I can honestly say that I see no reason to keep even juvenile fish in a bb tank. Those swords can handle the 84* temps and if you get enough cories you don't have to worry about decaying food. 15-20 cories would be an awesome sight in that tank with a school of 10 juveniles. Crank the heat, throw 'em in the planted tank, and watch 'em grow!

If you're worried about excess nutrients ask your LFS for a bag full of duckweed, it'll eat that stuff up.

jklnbrg
12-31-2002, 06:35 PM
Keeping the juvi's in this tank is very tempting Bio! I am on the fence about it but have a hard time bucking conventional wisdom and a lot of experience (even though the experience is about 7 years old now).
Duckweed is already starting on the surface of the tank. I had moved plants from another tank and along came the Duckweed. That stuff is hard to get rid of! LOLOL

John

Ralph
12-31-2002, 08:51 PM
It is definately a weed, and it multiplies so fast.
Doing WCs in a tank that size is a monster job, put them in a 29 or 50 gal for eight months or so, do 30% WCs every day and by then, the plants and the fish will be ready for each other. Do you know what kind of discus that you are getting?