PDA

View Full Version : Does Prazi affect appetite

Chris-C
12-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Hi all,
I was attempting to rid the fish of flukes with a 21 day treatment of prazi by the Carys method previously mentioned in one of the posts. (using about 1/2 a teaspoon of prazi per 55 gallon, followed by a 50% WC in 48hrs and then another 50% WC in the next 24hrs with a repeat full dose of medicine). I have done 2 treatments. Around the time I started the first treatment I notiiced that one of my discus was not eating and hiding at the back of the tank. His color has not darkened and his fins are not clamped. I thought maybe he was coming down with hex or something. Today I noticed that while the other fish do eat they do not eat as well as they use to.. I t takes them a lot longer to finish up the same amount of food that they usually get.
I was wondering if this was something that anyone else has observed ??? ???
Parameters: pH 7.4, ammonia and nitrite undetectable, 7 (3 to 4 inch fish in a 55 gallon) temp 84. I am dissolving the prazi in warm water by stirring well. Fish are fed beefheart, bloodworm and presoaked tetra bits
Thanks

Chris

12-14-2002, 02:50 PM
not sure about prazi, but i know that flubendazole, another dewormer, does increase appetite quite a bit. Not sure if there would be any correlation there, but there may be.

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Brad
I am not sure about your post as I have found that flubendazole decreasees appettite as does Prazi. Both meds irritate the stomach and intestines.
Dennis

12-14-2002, 03:58 PM
hmmm

I'm in the midst of a flubendazole treatment right now and my fish are eating like crazy. The reason I said that is because Cary told me that it increases the appetite and it has done so on my fish. Maybe you are right. It could even be that it increases appetite when the onset of the med occurs and then decreases the appetite after it's been in the system for a while. I know little about meds in that aspect, so I am of little empirical help - I can only pass on what others have informed me of.

12-18-2002, 01:26 AM
Brad,
You a lucky person. My fish just about stop eating during (PRAZI) treatment. Then about 2-4 days after last treatment they start eating like pigs again.

Miles

Tin Pusher
12-24-2002, 03:42 PM
Also in midst of 21 day treatment (day 11). Fish ate little until about day 8 and then they were pigs.

Chris-C
12-24-2002, 08:05 PM
I'll try sticking it out the next time around

Chris