PDA

View Full Version : algea on plant leaves

limige
12-15-2002, 04:38 AM
ok, i recently setup a planted tank for two large mouth bass and a sturgeon. i've got two 40watt bulbs over the tank, basement room temp maybe 70 degrees, and it's a 40-45 gallon tank. 4'x12" base.

i have two swords and a water sprite. on sword is getting covered with algea and not growing much. the other since i cleaned it off has grown tremendously.. the water sprite seems to be doing pretty well, and peices that break off seem to stay alive, i replanted one piece....

so this is my first real attempt at a planted tank and i'm not sure what to do about the algea or what it means, i also don't have enough time to read through all the simpy articles, there's just too many!!!!

please help!!

ChloroPhil
12-15-2002, 09:48 AM
limige,

First off, I'd unplant your Water Sprite and let it float. It'll grow better and do more to inhibit algae that way. Your fish will appreciate the cover too. My second suggestion would be to go out and get some plants from wherever it is you caught the fish then go home and turn off your heater. These are coldwater fish mixed with tropical plants. Your bass should do ok in temps that high, but they'd definately prefer something in the low 70s rather than close to 80.

BTW, get rid of that Sturgeon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you've got an in-ground swimming pool you'd like to convert to an aquarium that fish has no place in your, or anyone's home. Your bass are going to get too large for your tank as well very soon. If you're into bass take them back or eat them and go out and get an Oscar.

limige
12-16-2002, 09:22 PM
if my fish get too big for my house then there are several places nearby that i can move them to, one is belle isle aquirium which has a huge great lakes fish tank. others are smaller one's like at bass pro shops, they have tanks with bass, crappie, sturgeon, walleye, perch ect.

so my fish will always have a home, just fun to watch and learn some. you should see that sturgeon goes nuts for some wrigglers used for perch fishing (not discus wrigglers).

your right about the tropical plant thing though, guess i wasn't thinking there...can't raise the temps because of the sturgeon, i use no heater, they like cold deep water.

i will be redoing this tank shortly because i have to move it. for the sturgeons sake i've decided to move to a sand bottom with gravel underneath so he can get his food better.

if i pull the water sprite and swords, how can i kill any diseases off them to use in my discus tanks?