PDA

View Full Version : algae blanket

cod
12-15-2002, 08:58 PM
what kind of algae blankets the gravel and forms gas bubles when the lights are on. How do I get rid of it
cod

RAWesolowski
12-15-2002, 09:26 PM
Cod,

It's not really algae, it's cyano-bacteria. Best thing to do is to head down to your LFS and buy some erythromicin. Follow the directions and keep changing the water.

Ralph
12-15-2002, 09:58 PM
Hi Cod,
If it is a slimey bluish-green coating, it's the cyano which is at the top of list of everyone's least favorite algae-like bacteria.
If it is green and stringy, it is probably some kind of hair algae. I personally like that one, at least in moderation. And it is easy to get rid of, usually just pulling it out manually.
How are your plants doing? At least temporarily, your might want to put some water sprite in there. It floats and uses nutrients quickly. We talked about your lighting before and that sounds fine and also your substrate. Are you adding liquid fertilizer, and how about CO2?

cod
12-18-2002, 10:56 PM
Hi Ralph
I have gone back to the website http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/plant/lotech.html
and reviewed his presentation
He also had an outbreak of cynobacteria and states that eventually it went away when the tank stabilized. I will continue to preform water changes and watch and wait
will let you know if it works
cod