PDA

View Full Version : Bloodworms and Flukes

jjgallow
12-17-2002, 01:05 AM
What I want to know is what effect bloodworms really have on fish health and parasites. Are BloodWorms not worth it? They've got lots of protein, but so do many other discus foods. I used to think discus scratching themselves was normal, until I learned about gill flukes.

Since some people believe all discus have flukes, while others believe its rare, I'm just going to define flukes as scratching or not. Please be honest, whether you think scratching is okay or not okay. ;D

peety
12-19-2002, 05:11 AM
I've always fed my discus bloodworms. I've only had gill flukes once though and they only appeared because I didn't quarantine a new fish ::)

I dosed the entire tank and haven't seen them again, and hope never to again. >:( >:( >:(

I still feed bloodworms and all my fish love them (Community tank)

And have a quarantine tank now ;D ;D

peety

redlines
12-19-2002, 12:52 PM
Just because a fish occasionally scratches or rubs up against something does not mean it has flukes. There are many reasons for the behavior including water conditions and simple irratation in their gills which could be caused by any substance or food.

Heck I got one fish in particular that loves to swim past the airstone through the bubbles does that mean it needs more oxygen? Or does it just get off on the feeling? :o

jjgallow
12-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Well, say you're raising fry.

Some say it's standard procedure to medicate them for flukes right from the wiggler stage. It's just assumed that there are some flukes in the tank. Maybe the adults aren't so much affected, or maybe they just scratch from time to time. But the fry will be killed by them.

Is this true? If so, I think we need to make an effort as hobbyists to not introduce parasites. I stopped feeding my fish bloodworms and they stopped scratching altogether. They're fed well and I think they get a balanced diet.

I think the survey shows that most discus do scratch, and that most are fed bloodworms. The big problem with my survey is that it doesn't look like many people Don't feed bloodworms, lol! All I can say is what I've seen for myself.

Ivan
12-19-2002, 03:20 PM
My Discus have a big yawn and scratch session just after a good feed of beefheart, but not after bloodworm. That just shows how quick beefmix polutes the water! It's almost as soon as it hits the water.
You could have just had a bad batch of bloods. I don't feed live ones but gamma irradiated frozen. The only live foods I feed are daphnia from my own culture in the garage.

If you are breeding I think it's probably best to defluke the would be parents before they breed. I think most breeders defluke their fry tho'
Ivan

12-22-2002, 01:15 PM
Myself I feed the Hakari Frozen Bloodworms with no side effects.
I just can not imange how the parasites could be in the frozen worms after they have been sterlized and vits added.
But guess anthing is possible. ???
It could also be that you got a bad batch of worms.

Miles

fcdiscus
12-22-2002, 02:21 PM
Fluke eggs have been the only thing known to survive a nuclear holocost! JK ;D Frank

brewmaster15
12-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Frank! ;D...Thats cockroaches! but fluke eggs can stay viable for up to 4 days of being dry and adults can go for 8 days without a host!

Eggs can lay dormant in a running filter for at least 2 months (personal experiment)

-al

KC
12-31-2002, 12:44 PM
Hakari, Hakari, Hakari,...In two years+ I have never had a problem with their Frozen Bloodworms. That is the ONLY kind of Bloodworms I will feed in my tank!

fcdiscus
12-31-2002, 07:52 PM
I feed Hikari also, and I am the one who end up scratching! Frank :-\

12-31-2002, 09:31 PM
Here's my shipment I got in the week before Christmas. 2 Day priority mail turned into 5 days and they weren't packed well enough to survive the 2nd day probably.
Ever smell Blood worms that have been warm for 3 days? Every notice that every bag of Hikari BW's has a split seam somewhere? Thaw some out and you will. After cleaning up this mess, now I'm allergic to them. Itchy hands and eyes. I'm done. Tetra bits and CBW's, that's it.

fcdiscus
12-31-2002, 09:45 PM
Bill, You have more patience than I would, going to get your camera! Get the picture for a refund? Frank ;D

12-31-2002, 10:11 PM
Probably no refund. Its a lesson learned about using priority mail for anything perishable. The USPS doesn't guarantee anything perishable. If they had been spoiled after 2 days, I'd get on the sellers butt..but 5 days. He can't back that up. I shouldn't have agreed to this method of shipping. I'll eat this one.

01-01-2003, 11:03 PM
It is a trying time to say the least during the holidays. Even next day gets delayed during the holidays. Airport to airport is the best way during holidays as a matter of fact for all shipments. Unless the drive is not worth it.

Miles

jjgallow
01-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Uck!

That picture is dissssguuusting!

Something I did not sign up for when I ventured into discus. I used Hikari too. I think I did get a bad batch of bloodworms when they started scratching. The color wasn't quite the same.

Nevertheless I can feed them beef heart, mysis shrimp and various other frozen foods. Even if they Have gone bad, they won't introduce flukes. My fish are still happy, healthy and spawning with no bloodworms.

They keep eating those eggs, though!!!! ::)