PDA

View Full Version : To keep discus is such a hard work!!!!

wo
12-19-2002, 11:58 AM
Hi,

I like discus since the day my dad brought them back in 1992. Well, by that time the discus import to asia were much difficult to keep not to mention the chance of breeding. We quit keeping fish for 5 years but never get rid of the tank. One day in 2001, I stopped by a LFS and buy 20 neon tetras. I thought they were small and easy to keep. The next day half of they died, the rest of the survivors were covered by a kind of cotton like fungus. At the second night they all gone. I was quite sad and went to the LFS again; there I found my favorite fish------discus the fish I almost forgot about---swiming in the tank so elegant like a queen. So I bought 6 pieces of 2 inches BD and 6 piece of blood parrots home and kept them in the same tankwith everday 100% WC. They adapted the environment quite well. Ate a lot and grew quickly. So I found them are easlier to keep than tetras. But to tell the truth I found myself now a discus slave, have to do WC every single day and keep on buying new fish. That's quite a sweet responsibility. My wife always complain on not helping her but taking care of the discus. Well, the discus really attract me a lot increasingly.

How about you? Do you change water every day?

Carol_Roberts
12-19-2002, 12:35 PM
Yep, everyday! And I always feel so good when they're all done for the day.
Carol :heart1:

RandalB
12-20-2002, 02:04 AM
I Change 2X daily at 75% each time WHEEEEE. Get's to be a pain (Carrying buckets Ugh!) but it's worth it. Can't wait 'till I move to a house with a basement so I can setup a fishroom with overflows and drains.

RandalB

peety
12-21-2002, 09:32 PM
20% water change twice a day. Yep a bit tedious but love those fish...

Wolf
12-22-2002, 04:22 PM
Once a day, two tanks 30g and 60g 50-80 % daily. I did the bucket bregade for almost 6 months until I threw out my back and had to stay in bed for three days :-\. I bought a pump and a python and now it takes me about 15 minutes to vacuum and clean the tanks. It takes about an hour total but most of the time is waiting for the python to drain and the tank to fill. I just surf Simply on my computer while that's going on which is right by my tanks. I use the python to fill the tanks connected to the pump in my holding container. If you need a faster solution, I was using a 3/4" hose and it would fill my 60g tank in less than 5 minutes