PDA

View Full Version : Cover Glass... do I need it?

WrxAnt
12-19-2002, 11:44 PM
Guys,

I've just aquired 2 tanks which I intend to use for breeding.

Do I need to have cover glass on the tanks?

At the moments its the middle of summer and we are hitting 37-40 degrees Celcius so its quite hot and not having cover glass may help keep the temps down a little.

So is it safe to run no cover glass?

Thanls
Antony

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-19-2002, 11:55 PM
Antony
I would be afraid to leave the tank uncovered, Discus are jumpers if scared, you would hate to find one on the floor.
Since you are talking adults you could leave the front and the back proped open a little to let air circulate but not a big enough openning for the fish to jump through.
Dennis

ping
12-20-2002, 12:07 AM
Hi Antony,

It happened to me 3 years ago. I did not put any cover glass and i found one dried discus. :'(

That's the worse feeling coz it was a breeding pair.

12-20-2002, 12:07 AM
If your worried about the temps getting to high you could try using a piece of egg crate for a lid.

HTH

Mike

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-20-2002, 01:50 AM
I just thought possible if the heat is a problem what about one of the screened tops like you would see for a reptile tank.
Dennis

WrxAnt
12-20-2002, 02:38 AM
Well I bought some cover glass today..

Its amazing how the cover class costs 1/3 of the price of the whole tank..... ggrrrr...

NExt time I'll be smart and goto a glasier but being this close to xmas I took the quick option and paid the price...

I might raise the cover glass off with a couple of erasers....

Thanks for the replies guys!

Antony

mench
12-20-2002, 10:38 AM
I would go with Mikes suggestion and go to the hardware store and get some of that plastic egg crate that they use for overhead lighting.It has lots of holes and is inexpensive.

Mench