PDA

View Full Version : When can fry eat Brine Shimp

kevster
12-22-2002, 03:01 PM
I have read alot of info on raising fry without the parents and there seems to be some misconceptions out there and if I were new to breeding discus I would probaly shy away from them as it seems to be so much work.

Well I just want to say if you can raise angels and hatch brine shrimp you can raise discus. Here are a couple of pictures of baby discus in an eyedropper and if you look close at their bellies you can see they are the color of the shrimp. These fish started swimming yesterday and I fed them bs last night and today.

kevster
12-22-2002, 03:02 PM
looks like my pictures did't show up I'll try again

kevster
12-22-2002, 03:03 PM
another pic

12-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Wow...neat pic! I think most people begin feeding bs on 5th day of freeswimming. Some people claim you can do it from the beginning, but I myself don't know how accurate that is.

Brad

darcy
12-22-2002, 04:19 PM
JimmyL told me he can have them eating bbs on the second day!! I felt I wasn't experienced enough to try it and had mine eating bbs on the fourth day. I just watched my babies with a magnifying glass and could watch them chase and eat the bbs. It is cool to watch them turn color after eating the bbs.
Darcy

Carol_Roberts
12-22-2002, 04:59 PM
. . . and mine are more interested in the parents until day 9 . . . Great picture! Do you eyedropper the fry from bowl to bowl?
Carol :heart1:

kevster
12-22-2002, 08:15 PM
No Carol I use a turkey baster. You can move alot more of them that way.
When you say 9 days do you mean 9 days after they become free swimming?

To get them eating right away you need to start the bs the day before they will be looking for food and also keep them in a small bowl or pan and put in alot of bs so they are bumping into it.

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-22-2002, 11:14 PM
When Dick Au gives a lecture he states the fry can eat baby brine the first day of freeswimming if you want to go the artificial way. It is advisable to use a smaller brine shrimp like the SanFrancisco very tiny brand, they are much smaller than salt lake. he states you don't need to go the egg yolk routine.
I have never done the artificial raising as I don't have the time to do it.
But I do start brine shrimp on the fourth or fifth day of freeswiming.
Dennis

12-22-2002, 11:43 PM
There is a smaller Baby Brine then San Fran!

You can get at www.brineshrimpdirect.com its called
chinese baby brine.

I parent raise No need for the first day. I start on day 6

HTH
TakeCare,
Cary Gld!