PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal ?

ping
12-23-2002, 03:24 PM
Hi,

I seperate my pair to cure the male from fin rot. I put a piece of glass in the breeding tank preventing the female and male to breed.

Today, the female laid the eggs without the male.
Is this normal ?

They have bred twice before. Cant she just wait for a while ... ;D

Does anyone know how long to cure the fin rot ?
How to see that the medication works well ?
It seems that the wound gets bigger but he is starting to move the fin.
I use salt and Aquachem Phenoxine (broad spectrum medication, which consists of 2-phenoxyethanol, formaldehyde, brilliant green and malachite green).

Thanks,
Ronny

Discusgeo
12-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Ping take the piece of glass out of the tank and go to your local fish store and buy some MelaFix and treat both Discus. The spawning is normal, the female see's the male and she will continue to spawn. The obvious reason he has fin rot with very few exceptions are precipitated by stress, fear or poor environmental conditions. I would wipe down there tank, do a 100 percent water change and add the MelaFix. It is easy to mix MelaFix if you have a 55 gallon drum because you add 1 teaspoon (5ml) to for every 50us gallons (190L) Hope this helps you out. Do this daily for 7 days and you should be in good shape.
George

ping
12-25-2002, 03:34 PM
Hi George,

Thansk for your suggestion. My male gets better. I did not use Melafix as i do not know where to get them (cant find it in fish shop).I used Aquachem Phenoxine, which can be used for fin and tail rot.
I changed the water twice. The first time, i did 90% water changes and do it again with 50%. I also put salts and raised the temperature. The pair seems to be happy. They are swimming together.

Thanks for your help. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Regards,
Ronny

12-26-2002, 12:20 AM
Just keep up with the big waterchanges and the salt for the next week and a half or so until he looks really really good. Then you can go back to your old ways and all should be well. Good luck!

Brad