PDA

View Full Version : A Cigar Dream

lub0
12-23-2002, 04:02 PM
I just came back from my vacation in Cuba and my cigar dream became true, one safe full with Cohiba.

Lub0

P.S. I am wondering if there are other cigar addicts?

jeep
12-25-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm not a huge cigar smoker, but I was in the Caymans a few years ago and I bought some Romeo & Juliettes. I took a few puffs and went to bed. I got up a few mintues later and smoked the rest. It wa great!

I ended up with about 15 for the trip back to the sates...

brewmaster15
12-26-2002, 11:28 AM
:'( :'( :'( :'( I am! but we can't get Cubans in the USA. Bootleg they would cost $25-30 a piece!

The best I can do is here are Ashtons. And I was blessed this christmas with 10 montecristos from my brother in law.

Cigarinternational.com has some awesome online prices for cigars... and if you get a chance.. Try the 5vegas(cinco Vegas) its a nice smoke!

enjoy those treasures!

-al

Don_Lee
12-26-2002, 01:34 PM
My wife Claudia has an uncle that sell/ships cigars from all over the world. He is quite the connoisseur. The cigars he carries are the finest available. His name is Thomas Fraioli, his email addy is TAFSR192@aol.com. Business name is Cigars by Guidetaf1. He is in Rhode Island Al, close to you! Give him a call/email, tell him Claudia sent you!

Don ;D

12-26-2002, 01:52 PM
Please do not let my hubby (nor Weezy's) see this thread..... LOL ....

Hey wait a minute.... :idea:

Cigars = More tanks/fish...... Hmmmm

gtg, gunna call the hubby.... :P

lub0
12-26-2002, 01:57 PM
Hi Al,

Yep, unfortunately Cohiba are pretty expensive in Canada too :(. Thanks for the link; I’ll order some Cinco Vegas. One more thing, in the spirit of Christmas and because I really like Simply I would like to donate one Cohiba Lanceros to you ;) or we can trade some cigars for discus :). Please email me your postal address.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Lub0

brewmaster15
12-27-2002, 11:59 AM
Hi Lubo,
thanks for the generous offer, but after 9/11 they are screening everything coming into the uSA. My luck some inspector would smoke that cigar!

Its a stupid Ban they have here, leftover from the cold wars. we'll trade openly with communist china, but not cuba. Makes no sense! My guess is some american politicians high up own cigar plantations elsewhere in the islands or latin America. Probably nicaragua!

Don, Thank you as well. I may take you up on that! :)

-al

fcdiscus
12-27-2002, 01:59 PM
Great Cigars Do not have to be Cuban! Try Some El Originals from Islandsmokeshop.com! Outstanding, and reasonably priced. Frank :rolleyes:

Tad
12-27-2002, 02:15 PM
Cohiba's are hard to beat and probably my favorite of the Cubans, but I also agree with Frank there are alot of quality cigars available that are not Cuban....My favorites are Fuente "Hemmingway Short Stories", and a good Partagas Maduro...Pretty hard to beat....Al I feel lucky to have some Cubans right now in the Humidor...(Cohibas, Romeo Julieta's, and MonteCristo's) I save those for special events as they are treasures due to the availability.....Nothing like a nice smoke, sitting in front of our favorite discus aquarium with a nice glass of Port or a shot of Scotch.
JMO,
Tad ;D

lub0
12-27-2002, 03:49 PM
Hi Al,

I have sent some Cohiba cigars to US no problems so far; my guess is that customs do not bother to check letters with 1 to 5 cigars in it. But it’s up to you, my offer is valid until I smoke all of them ;).

Also if someone else wants Cohiba I have a lot of cigars, just email me and we can negotiate a fair price or I'll trade for discus :)

Jeep, I am planning to go next winter to the Caymans, is there any places that you would recommend as must to be seen?

Lub0

jeep
12-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Lub,

I've been all over the Caribbean and the Caymans are really quite drab. The Caymans actually consist of an extinct coral reef and I think the highest point above sea level is about 100'. The beaches are very coarse shell fragments and not fun to walk on barefooted. When I was there, the night life sucked. The diving is among the best in the world though. If you want to go in the water, go to Sting Ray City and feed the rays. If you don't like diving, go to the turtle hatchery.

About the only other place on land I would recommend is a town called "Hell". You can mail all your friends postcards from Hell or buy a "Hellrock Cafe" t-shirt.

If not for the diving I would not recommend the Caymans. Go to the Virgin Islands instead. Paradise Island in the Bahamas is like a small Las Vegas and Bimini is a blast, although a little remote. St. Lucia, St Thomas and St. John are my favorite places in the Caribbean...

Have fun!!!

brewmaster15
12-27-2002, 10:20 PM
Who am I to turn down a a cohiba? Thanks Lubo!

my address is no secret....

http://www.simplydiscus.com/donate/index.html

Thanks a million!

-al

Tad- I envy you, and and Though I agree with you and Frank about good cigars not necessarily being from cuba, but some of the best do come from there, and my humidor really likes having them visit! ;)

favorite place to enjoy them...

My hot tub, with a glass of cabernet. or camping with a bottle of VO or my home brew midnite stout ;)

Funny, For years growing up I drove past these cloth covered fields in Connecticut, and never realized that Connecticut supplied the majority of Shade wrappers for those good cigars!

take care,
al

DavidAJ
12-27-2002, 11:03 PM
Brew I'm with ya !

Hibas Rule ! Smoked many of them when I was skiing in Wistler/Blackcomb and a fair share of Romeo e Julietas .....nice

Another fav is the Padron churchill ...very nice smoke

David ;D

fcdiscus
12-27-2002, 11:51 PM
Come on Al- Ya never saw the movie Parrish? ;D You bet Cubans are great, and if Lubo wants to send me some.....Frank

Tad
12-27-2002, 11:51 PM
David and Brew,
Hard to argue any cigar...Cubans definately have the world renown taste...the conditions for tobacco are excellent in their tropical valleys...Brew how did you miss out on all of that history of the Connecticut shade wrappers...the Sumatra wrappers are great too...I guess a bunch of us cigar smokin guys got something in common....taking the time to sit down to have a great smoke with one of our favorite drinks and just relaxing.....
cheers,
Tad

fcdiscus
12-27-2002, 11:54 PM
I love 'em with a nice Bud!- Sorry Al ;) Frank

Tad
12-28-2002, 12:06 AM
Geez Frank You and I dont have anything to do tonite, but discuss cigars, talk about our favorite "brew" lol...damn servers lol ;D

Jason
12-28-2002, 11:10 AM
IM' me if you guys need some "covert" shipping tactics

samcatj
12-29-2002, 09:03 AM
I am in the Fine Wine/Liquor/Tobacco business and can assure you that you do not want to be caught on the receiving end of Cuban Cigars coming into this Country. Ignorance is no excuse to the Feds and in this day and age these guys are all business.
As far as good cigars besides Hemmingway Short Stories, R & J. Fuente, Punch, Fonseca etc. two really great cigars at a very, very reasonable price are La Finca and Las Cabrillas. They should retail out for about +- $1.25 each and they are excellent for the money. They come in just about every ring size that you would want. They even make a torpedo in the La Finca. A glass of good port, single malt scotch or fine cognac will top off a great cigar.

Samcatj

brewmaster15
12-29-2002, 10:44 PM
Thanks Samcatj...I think ::) :-[

hypothetical question for anyone....How would anyone know if a cigar were a cohiba if the band were not on it?

again strictly hypothetical. :)

-al

fcdiscus
12-30-2002, 12:12 AM
You would have to be a true conosseur (sp). Even with the band, there are some counterfeits out there, but usually the band is just a bit different. If you have just a cigar- the first thing is to check the cap. A Cuban is always a flagged cap. Then smoke the damn thing, and if you like it, you hit pay dirt! Frank

lub0
12-30-2002, 12:47 AM
Here is my way of testing, when I got back from Cuba I went to a reputable store in Montreal and I bought one Siglo I ($30) and one Lanceros ($59), later I compared them with my two boxes that I got from Cuba, for me the cigars were the same (I had to smoke 4 cigars ;).

For the caps, they are different on Siglo and on Lanceros.

But if the band is not there, I don't know how to test them :(, maybe when I finish the 2 boxes I could be able :)

Cheers,
Lub0

Tad
12-30-2002, 02:40 AM
to all of my cigar smoking friends,
A great cigar is judged by the following:
Wrapper-- A high-quality tobacco leaf wrapped around the
finished bunch and binder. It is very elastic and, at its best,
unblemished.
Ligero-- One of the three basic types of filler tobacco. The
name means light in Spanish, but this aromatic tobacco lends
body to a blend.
Seco-- The Spanish word for dry, seco is a type of filler
tobacco. It often contributes aroma and is usually
medium-bodied.

If you have a balance of the above three, YOU have a great cigar no matter where it is manufactured.

regards,
Tad

brewmaster15
01-02-2003, 10:31 PM
All this cigar talk...

Just ordered myself a few Fidalgo negro...has a black, moist Oscuro wrapper, and nicaraguan longfillers. as well a few La Estrella cubana with those beatiful Red Rosado wrapper from the DR....

.... These are good smokes guys and at only 3-4 $ a pop...not outrrageous either!

-al

Don_Lee
01-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Who did you order from Al??

Don

brewmaster15
01-03-2003, 12:57 PM
Hi Don,

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/

I've bought from them many times. reasonable prices, most brands, and they are in Pennsylvania and ship out daily.

Hope they get here today. :)
-al

fcdiscus
01-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Sounds GOOD! More expense, now! Thanks, Al. Frank

lub0
01-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Here is another England store for Cuban cigars, they know how to ship to US:

http://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/

Cheers,
Lub0

fcdiscus