PDA

View Full Version : A storm in your fishroom?

murali
12-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Hi,
I came across the following on a web site providing information on how to successfully breed tropical fish.

To simulate the rain, use a drip system or spray bar for several hours a day and simulate storms by flashing light in a dark room. Thunder can be created by playing a recording of a storm, a recording of music with bass, or a recording of rattling thin metal cake pans.

The process can be repeated until the fish show signs of spawning preparation. In addition to the storms, the fish should be fed heavily with mosquito larvae, shrimp, and flying insects.

Will a member of this forum please undertake to try the "rattling of thin metal cake pans.?"

Thanks,
Murali

12-24-2002, 06:08 PM
Well that's something I've certainly never heard/thought of. If I had the means I'd try it, but I don't. Maybe someone else can help you out.

murali
12-24-2002, 06:18 PM
May be JimmyL would be willing to try.

How about it Jimmy?

12-24-2002, 06:25 PM
that seems like an awful lot of hassle when you can achieve the same success by doing a large water change....
what if you rattle the cake pans and switch the lights on and off and all that other stuff, but your water parameters are wrong???
somebody is thinking way too much....good food, good water, and your fish are gonna breed....in fact..try and stop them...

murali
12-24-2002, 06:29 PM
But think of the cost saving if this works?

Although I haven't priced them yet, I am sure the cake pans are cheap.
Also, every time you turn the lights off, you are saving money.
As for flashes of light, a cameral flash should work just fine and uses very little triple A battery power.

This may be the way to go!

Carol_Roberts
12-24-2002, 07:11 PM
Lol. was that posted by Godwin Sim?
Carol :heart1:

12-24-2002, 07:14 PM
All you have to do is plug the drain of the upper floor bathroom basin and turn on the tap. It will rain all the way down to the basement. It's free. Better let nature takes its course. This paritcular subject had caused some very unhappy posters from the other forum a couple years ago. I have many spawns without trying it.
Carol: It's not from GS. It's one of the new happy hobbyist who took my Red Melon pair without knowing how valuable they are. I'm glad he's happy with them. I have no need for them. i hope they'll spawn for him. It will take him another 5 years research to be able to raise the fry successfully. They're difficult even for the estute breeders.
Jimmy.

murali
12-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi Carol,

The url is http://www.mongabay.com/fish/breeding.htm and the text appears to be by Rhett Buttler.
It is a very sophisticated web site but the text is taken from writing apparently done in 1994 when the author was 16 years old. (I am not making this up. It is in the fine print at the bottom of some of the pages.)

Cheers,
Mike

PS: I think in future I am going to restrict my research to information on SimplyDiscus.

murali
12-24-2002, 07:35 PM
Oh Jimmy, that stings!

You have issued a challenge. You have thrown down the glove.

I am determined to raise the fry within the year.

By the way, were you kidding about flooding the upstairs?

Cheers,
Murali

12-24-2002, 11:55 PM
I was thinking of the Wet Bandits in the Favorite Christmas move"Home Alone 1". when I wrote. Don't try it without your spouse's permission. We have too many thunder stormes already without doing anything. Why trying to create one. if you provide a right environment to the pair, It's a natural instinct that they'll spawn. It's not necessary.
Merry Christmas.
Jimmy.

Gnome
01-23-2003, 05:51 AM
All you have to do is plug the drain of the upper floor bathroom basin and turn on the tap. It will rain all the way down to the basement. It's free. Better let nature takes its course. This paritcular subject had caused some very unhappy posters from the other forum a couple years ago. I have many spawns without trying it.
Carol: It's not from GS. It's one of the new happy hobbyist who took my Red Melon pair without knowing how valuable they are. I'm glad he's happy with them. I have no need for them. i hope they'll spawn for him. It will take him another 5 years research to be able to raise the fry successfully. They're difficult even for the estute breeders.
Jimmy.

Hmm I guess I will record Stan - eminem, see if that'll help