PDA

View Full Version : Comments on this egg eater pls.

Preeda_Lim
12-27-2002, 02:28 AM
Hi all,

One of my pair spawn today, but after female lays eggs ex. 5-10 eggs. Male swims beside and immediately eat them all after they attached the cone. Any comments or precaution for my next spawn.

This pair, i let them chose themselves, this spawn is the second. The first spawn they didn't eat but the eggs weren't fert.

Thanks,
Preeda

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2002, 03:42 AM
Young, inexperienced male. Give them several more tries. Hopefully he will start to fertilize eggs instead of eat them.

My big yellow male ate the first few spawns, then stood around and watched the next 15 times until he finally figured out his role. Now he's caring for about 70 three weeks old fries. I'm moving him into his own tank tomorrow and giving him a rest before he meets his new girlfriend.

Carol :heart1:

Preeda_Lim
12-27-2002, 05:39 AM
Yes Carol, i think his age is around 10-12 months..i will wait and see for the next fews time before change her new male..

Anyway do i have to use a screen to protect eggs?

Preeda

Kagan
12-27-2002, 02:55 PM
In addition there is a second possibility in which the one you consider as male might be female. I have lived it before. If it is male, you can use a screen to see what happens. Be sure to aerate the spawning site after the "production" is complete and an hour has passed so that you give enough time for the sperms to fertilize the eggs. By this way you can check if you have male + female. I am assuming the possible male and the female are fertile :) HTH

Kagan

12-27-2002, 05:47 PM
Preeda,
Don't screen yet. 10-12 months is too young. Some adults don't become fertile until they are over 2 years old (males i mean). Give him (her?) more time and see what unfolds. Before you screen you should verify that they get wigglers, and screening won't help if the male isn't fertilizing anyway.

Brad