PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with eggs

joyofdiscus
12-27-2002, 02:56 PM
hello,
I have a pair that breeded 9 times and is about 2 - 2 1/2 years old. i keep the temp. at 84F and the ph is aroung 7.8. also, they are in their own tank. most of the time half of the eggs lasted about 12 to 36 hrs. during the 9th spawn, most of the eggs were eaten except one. that one egg eventually hatched. i saw tail and eyes, but it was gone shortly.

now, i am sure that the male fertilized the eggs. but not sure which discus eat the eggs and baby. my questions are whether to screen the eggs and once the eggs hatch will the parents eat the baby if i removed the screen. please help with your advices.

thanks in advance
hank

P.S. this pair always spawn overnight and it seems only half is left on the cone.

Kagan
12-27-2002, 04:12 PM
Hi,

You can try to screen the eggs. Most possibly they will "feel" the parentship and will take care of the babies. HTH..

Kagan

12-27-2002, 05:45 PM
I'd give them up to 15 times on their own before you attempt screening the eggs. JimmyL believes egg eating may be the result of internal worms. Good luck.

Brad

joyofdiscus
01-01-2003, 06:01 PM
thank you Kagan and brad for your advices. today, this pair layed eggs again. :) :D ;D luckyly, i have made a screen two days ago, so i am going to test to see the reactions of this pair. also i am using MB to prevent fungus. i 'll give you guys an updated of what happens.

hank