PDA

View Full Version : anyone feed hamburger?

ReeferKimberly
12-29-2002, 03:12 AM
if so, do u cook/boil it? i would lik to try with it and add some veggies, silversides, shrimps, ect. ect. i would basically use it instead of beefheart.
thanks
~kim~

ps. any recipes would be greatly recieved!

12-29-2002, 04:14 AM
No burger..too fatty! Even the leanest burger you could buy is too fatty. I feed cbw's and tetra bits. A frozen hikari bloodworm occasionally, but, after years of using them, I'm developing an allergy to them. No more heart mixes for me. My water stays cleaner with out it. Messy, nasty stuff. I am going to try adding frozen mysis shrimp also....in the past my fish didn't go for them. A few days of hunger may change their minds. Now that they're larger...letting them go hungry a few days doesn't bother me as much.

ReeferKimberly
12-29-2002, 04:53 AM
oh darn, i really wanted to try it too. my discus are not very enthusiastic about feeding (well the large ones at least, my juvies are monsters!) i'm just looking for new things to feed to get them excited about feeding time. they look so bored.
thankz anywayz
~kim~ :)

12-29-2002, 06:31 PM
Let me regress...some on here feed ground turkey breast I think, and if I remember correctly some of the more experienced keepers said they did. Might want to post the question in a new topic if you're interested.

Aquatic_Design
12-29-2002, 07:15 PM
I have used 99% fat free ground turkey rather then beefheart. The discus loved it and I had just as good a growth rate as the BH. I used the same mix of vitamins, peas, bananas, shrimp or cod, garlic, paprika and spirulina flakes.
HTH
Donna :)

ReeferKimberly
12-30-2002, 03:08 AM
thanks guys, i'll look into that.
~kim~

01-02-2003, 11:59 AM
How does the 99% fat free Turkey compare to Beefheart as far as price? They pretty much give beefheart away....

01-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Donna, Do you use the spirulina flakes as a binder. There is very little actual Spirulina in these flakes. The rest sounds good to me. IME, Vitamin B Complex is real important to add into any homemade recipe.

I use Shrimp as a binder. if you place it in a food proccesser for awhile, it will turn into a pasty goo! I leave the shells on for added carotene. :D Joe

Brad, Although, Ground turkey is more expensive than beefheart, it is still far more inexpensive than commercially prepared foods. Joe ;)