PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Feed Water Change

Ralph
12-30-2002, 01:35 AM
The easier a daily chore is for me, the more likely it is that I am actually going to do it everyday.
I have a 29 gal growout tank that is located near a window. I do a 30% WC everyday. I put a 10 gal tank nearby, about 2 feet higher than the 29 gal.
I siphon out 10 gal from the 29 gal with plastic tubing just sending it out the window. When that is done, I siphon the entire 10 gals out of the 10 gal tank into the 29 gal tank. I then refill the 10 gal by hand (I'm working on that). The WC is done.
The siphon I use to take out the water from the 29 gal is set so that it stops automatically when 10 gals are taken out.
The 10 gal is used to age the water with an airstone setup. There is also a heater in it.
It is basically a free setup because I had all the parts around the house already but if you had to buy the 10 gal and the tubing, it would still be less than $15. The only water I have to carry is the 10 gals that goes in the 10 gal tank (a tube from a sink would eliminate this step). A couple of values would really make the setup easy.

12-30-2002, 01:59 AM
I too enjoy using smarts to allow being lazy. I have a 55 gallon barrel in my room (Had plastic lining in it w/ maonaise in it - free) with a 500 gph pump in it. It has a 30' hose on it that i drag around the room to fill up the tanks. My bedroom is on the second story and my window overlooks the roof of our screened-in-porch. So, my python, with extensions, rests on the roof and goes down out into the grass. I just open the window, bring it inside, set it to desired height in tank after syphoning off the botom, and clamp it so it stops on it's own at desired level. Then just plug in the chord to fill them back up. I'll put up some pics if i get a chance. Oh...my RO runs into the holding barrel, and it has an auto shut-off valve on it. It's also heated and aerated.

Brad

harry
01-04-2003, 03:25 AM
if your tube is set to only take ten gallons out how do you get all the waste off the bottom of tank ,, :)

Ralph
01-04-2003, 11:33 AM
As needed, I use a regular vacuum. I clean up the bottom and it takes out about 1/3 of a gal. I have a low fish load in this particular tank. I could probably set up the siphon to draw from the bottom of the tank and keep an eye on it and turn it off after 10 gals but I know that some day I will get distracted and .......
But all in all, it still beats hauling every gal, and it is still a work in progress. The hard part is keeping to cost down, the average aquarist doesn't want to spend $100 - $200 US for the whole pump and valve setup. I'm open to any ideas though.
Good question.

01-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Mine only cost me $30...not counting RO

Todd77357
07-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Ralph, I am basicly doing the same thing as far a wc's, 30% a day on my 55 g grow out tank. Although I have well water that runs 6.8 ph and 125 ppm. Do I need to age the water, and for how long if so. Thanks

Todd77357
07-21-2003, 09:22 PM
I live just north of Houston. Do I still need to age water? What is the purpose of doing so?

Todd77357
07-21-2003, 10:43 PM
I was wrong, its 6.7, calibrated the meter before testing and let it sit in the water for 20 min. to make sure. Only have the drop test kit for hardness, so I can't show the number of drops, just take my word for it.