PDA

View Full Version : Metronidazole tablets

12-30-2002, 02:22 PM
I have fresh, medical grade Metronidazole tablets, 500 mg for 35 cents per tablet. These dissolve almost instantly leaving behind only a small amount of the tablet filler/binder which is easily filtered out with a brine shrimp net or coffee filter.
I usually don't bother, its only a scant amount. Minimum order would be 20. No maximum. Pvt message me if interested. I've got 250's also, but the cost is only 5 cents per tablet less...so better to get the 500's.

rafall
12-30-2002, 06:25 PM
I would take 20 just in case.
please e-mail me at rafall@ameritech.net
;D

12-30-2002, 07:04 PM
You've got mail!

fcdiscus
12-30-2002, 07:10 PM
Good Deal, Bill! ;) Frank

12-31-2002, 09:16 PM
So is this dimetronidazole that dissolves in water or metronidazole that you would put in food? I got 500 mg tablets and they didnt' disolve in water, only break up and go to the bottom.

12-31-2002, 09:23 PM
Go away Brad.

fcdiscus
12-31-2002, 09:41 PM
;D

01-01-2003, 03:01 AM
ouch Rus...I was just asking a question. Do they dissolve or not?

:-X

Discusgeo
01-01-2003, 08:58 AM
BradNC
The Metronidazole powder is used in the water. This is a quote direct on usage from Fishy Farmacy where I get mine.
George

POWDER DOSAGE: 1/4 teaspoonful per 20 gallons. 50 gram bottle (treats approx. 800 gal.) Treat every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10 days.

01-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Read the post Brad.

ottawadiscus
01-01-2003, 06:24 PM
I would like to get 25. Could you email at ottawadiscus@yahoo.com

Loyed

fcdiscus
01-01-2003, 07:18 PM
I always use the tablets, and good ones disolve pretty readily in warm water! Frank

Don_Lee
01-01-2003, 10:26 PM
DiscusRus,

Where are you shipping from? I am thinking about buying some tablets and would like to have an idea how long it might take. Is the previous mentioned dosage correct?

Don ;D

01-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Hi Don,

I'm not an expert on dosage. Some say 250 mg per 20 gal, some say up to 400 mg per 20 gal. which is what I use now. I pvt. messaged you about shipping. But, if you do the math on the above dosage on the powder, it comes to 125 mg per 20 gallons daily for 10 days.

01-02-2003, 11:41 AM
George,
You are talking about metronidazole powder. These are tablets. I'm just curious, because I've gotten these from local vets, and they are meant for cats, dogs, etc. When you put them in a jar and shake them up really well, it may appear that they have dissolved, but I have found that they really haven't. They have broken into many pieces and once they go in the tank, they sink to the bottom eventually. The only way they will make hex go away is if the fish eat the metro. I'm just trying to make sure people know what they're getting.

Brad

01-02-2003, 12:09 PM
For Metro I use 400mg per 10g, every 8 hours. I do a large water change once a day. I get the temp as high as possible, up to 92ºF. I dose the tank 3x a day for 3 days and then stop for a week. If the fish are better I leave them alone, otherwise do it again.

Dave

01-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Brad..the filler and binders won't dissolve and that's what you're seeing. Did you do an assay on the water in the jar you shook the pills in to see if Metro was in the water. I've used these pills for 13 years as needed and its always worked for me. Metro is absorbed through the gills and gets into the fish as they ingest water, just like the calcium in the water they need for bone growth. It gets in them no question. The dosage and what might or might not be resistant is the question.
These are not vet pills. Call Cary and ask him. Now go away.

01-03-2003, 12:06 AM
That very well may be so. The pills I got, however, were from a vet and that's why I brought up the points I did. If there are binders in the pills, then are there actually 500 mg of metro in the pills, or is the 500 mg including the binders and such? By the way Rus, you really need to chill out. No reason for you to have such an attitude with honest questions. That would only make me, as a consumer, more weary of purchasing from a vendor.

brad

fcdiscus
01-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Brad, i get pills from a vet too, and if it is 500mg- that is the medication amount, not the total with binders! Frank

01-03-2003, 12:59 AM
I'm not a vendor . Now please..go away.

Bill: I edited your post - do we really need to discus your bodily functions on this thread?

Brad: Don't ask him any more questions

Carol :heart1:

01-03-2003, 01:48 AM
Its was a Monty Python line from "Holy Grail" Just a joke.. I wouldn't know which direction anyway!! Wow..the rath of the censor.. I'm humbled.

fcdiscus
01-03-2003, 01:55 AM
;D

daninthesand
01-03-2003, 03:25 AM
I deleted my "monty python" post because clearly my attempt to lighten up this discussion has failed. Understandably so. I guess sometimes things really need to be said for the benefit of all disus lovers.

The post really did not belong here anyway.

Best of luck to all invovled... :)

May your fishies smell of wild hickory nuts.

Daniel ;)

01-03-2003, 01:53 PM
I was concernd when I first used Metro pills too. I have some 250mg pills and they break up in water very quickly but there is a lot of powdery residue all over the tank bottom after I've dosed a tank. Possibly there's more because I am dosing at 400mg per 10g whereas DiscusRus sounds like he's using much less. I didn't know if the white crap was binder for the drug or the drug itself but in the past I have found that pure Metro doesn't dissolve that well so I assumed some of it was Metro. I just finished treatment on a pair with these pills and they responded quickly and their health improved over the 3 day treatment so I'm going to assume that the white crap on the tank bottom is not an appreciable amount of the drug.

Dave

01-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Hi Dave,
I use a 500 mg tab for 20 gallons. Metronidazole is very very water soluble. It comes in gel forms to use for certain skin and vaginal infections and that gel is water based. Metronidazole will penetrate what's called the "blood brain barrier" which is quite important in medicine..not all drugs do. It's excreted in breast milk. All this to say that Metronidazole is very soluble in the aquarium and that it probably penetrates into the fish in every way imaginable. If it will cross the blood brain barrier, I know it is absorbed by gills. Its documented freqently that it does as well.
If its a pill that people take, you can bet its soluble in water to at least some degree.
I guess that binders and fillers in the pills may be water insoluble by design to give the pills a longer shelf life.

01-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Carol,
as much as i respect you, I have overstepped no boundaries and therefore have no self-imposed limits on the questions I ask in an attempt to gain more knowledge about medicines.

Rus,
You're wrong about the solubility of metronidazole. It is not water soluble and will only sit on the bottom of your tank. I did 400 mg/10 gallons with metronidazole and it didn't help my fish. Dimetronidazole was developed as a kin to metronidazole. In fact, it does the exact same thing, it was just developed to be water soluble for aquaria usage.

I'm looking at this thread from two angles. One, I wouldn't want to recieve something that I expected to do something different than what it does. If this is, in fact, not dimetronidazole, then unless your fish eat it off the tank bottom for fun, then it will do nothing. I think everyone should know what they are really getting when they purchase something, even if it means someone else here makes a little less money off of sales. Two, I'm curious as to what he has really is. Maybe it is dimetronidazole, although the only dimetro I've ever heard of comes in powder form. That's not to say it doesn't exist. I'm just a high school kid trying to learn and yes, I will admit that I have a much higher level of intelligence than most all adults and a maturity level that rivals them. Intellectually....well...this isn't a rant about me so i'll leave it at that. However, I am frankly irritated with Rus' austere ways and lack of coherence to answer my honest questions in a civil manner. I was initially planning on buying a good number of these tablets if they are indeed what he said they were, but now I am fairly confident that I will take my business elsewhere. This is a forum, with the goal of learning and i will continue to seek knowledge in the same manner I have been. If Rus decides to no longer respond to my questions, I just hope that someone else will. That's all I ask.

Brad

fcdiscus
01-03-2003, 03:28 PM
But Brad, I did respond to you. I have used these tablets, and told you the result. Yes, maybe dimet does disolve easier in water, but the Met does too. And the Met is easier on the bio system and if you give it to blackworms for food. I do not think Rus likes you. Maybe because you are so damn intelligent! JMO- Frank ;)

01-03-2003, 03:35 PM
frank...no need to pick on me because I'm smart and severely lacking in the common sense department... ;)

But seriously, all I know is that I've used metro with no success and dimetro with success and I've heard the same from others, including Cary, who originally pointed out to me that that's probably why my metro treatments weren't working.

Brad

01-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Ok..whatever you say Brad. I guess my year of pharmacology in medical school, my 15 years of prescribing the drug both IV, pill form and gell form are no match for your knowledge. The PDR is wrong to I suppose. I'll notify them..they may want to get in touch with you to see if you have any more knowledge that they need to know. Now once again, go away.

daninthesand
01-03-2003, 03:42 PM
:-X

01-03-2003, 03:47 PM
I'm out of this discussion. I just had the opportunity to buy a large quanity of Metronidazole tablets on sale from one of my medical supply warehouses and did. Then I thought I share them with Simply members. That's it. They dissolve and work. My 10 plus years of experience with them helps me to make that comment.

Brad, you get on my nerves because you are a newbie to discus but seem to think you know a lot. You seem to be trying to set a record for the number of posts you can get. Dropping Cary's name in every post doesn't help your credibility one bit. We all know an respect Cary, but I don't want his name to pop up everytime I have an opinion on something that you disagree with. IF Cary want's to reply to anything I post, I welcome it. In my opinion, he's great, knowledable and a straight shooter. I'm just not much of a "fan" of anyone one person. You're obviously infatuated.

Now, once again...go away. shoo..

01-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Brad: I don't think you're getting picked on because of your "above-average intelligence"...Rather, I think it's your propensity for over-posting on subjects that might be second-hand knowledge gleaned from other people, rather than something that is your own experience that's been put into actual practice...
It's understandable to want to help out, but sometimes it's better to let the people with first hand information with many years of experience post, rather than cluttering up the forum with heresy. Saying things like "I'm much smarter and more mature than most adults"(not a direct quote-I'm lazy) is basically belittling a good portion of the forum and making yourself even more of a target...
I stop myself from posting constantly when I realize that I would only be posting what I've read or heard others say not MY OWN EXPERIENCE...

fcdiscus
01-03-2003, 03:53 PM
I will say this! I bought 100 of these from Rus, and I dissolved one. It was much better at disolving than ones I got from a Vet for twice the price! Very similar to those sold by Fishy Farmacy, which is an excellant product. I bought some and I do have the right to comment! Thanks Bill! Frank

01-03-2003, 03:54 PM
In my experience Metro does not dissolve well in water. That seems to be the experience of others on this forum as well:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1127;sta rt=0

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1091;sta rt=0

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1093;sta rt=0

So I guess we are all just bumbling fools and can't figure out how to dissolve this darn Metro in that there tap water. Hell, I need help getting the durn lid off of the bottle. Maybe I should git me one of them there paint can shakers and stick the sealer jar on it to get this drug dissolved. I don't know. But I do know that Brad's experience is not unusual. The only reason I thought that people used Dimetro was because Metro didn't dissolve easily.

I don't understand why Brad should stop asking questions just because he's getting rude answers.

Dave

01-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Ok..just one more post..
Dave
The whole friggin pill won't dissolve..The metro will dissolve. All of it. The pill has other things besides Metro in it....crap to make the pill form and stay formed.

Mix the pills in
about 6-8 oz of water..maybe up to 10 tabs or so...stir for a little while..maybe 60 seconds..then pour in in the tank through a brine shrimp net or similiar filter..

01-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear. I have 250mg tablets right now and can accept that the stuff that doesn't dissolve could be a binder. In the past it was possible to get metro into Canada and I would get Metro powder from FTFFA and it was difficult to dissolve. Not as difficult as Prazi but still difficult. Certainly it did not dissolve as readily as you suggest. Personally I don't give a damn, it dissolves enough and works fine for me. I was merely piping up because I wondered about all of the residue with the tablets so when Brad asked the question I figured it was a good question. When Brad got trashed & told to go away for asking the question I figured that was unfair. Big deal, I don't really care. I just have heard from many people that in their experience Metro powder does not dissolve well. If you read the links I provided you'll see some evidence of that, from both tablets & powder. I stand corrected.

Dave

Don_Lee
01-03-2003, 04:11 PM
OK OK, enough is enough. Brad and Dave, don't post anymore on this thread please.

Don

01-03-2003, 04:14 PM
I wonder if the Metro powder is pure or has something else in it as well? The pure
chemical "metronidazole" is supposed to be very soluble. I know The Fish Farmacy has drugs it sells that even the powder forms are not pure. I think they're adjusted with inert things to help with standardize dosing...like.. use 1/4 teaspoon..etc. You can give Metronidazole IV to people..so it has to be pretty soluble to do that. Can't drip in a bag of sludge.. ;D.

01-03-2003, 04:20 PM
I don't know about the additives in the drugs. But that's certainly a possibility. If that's correct then my measurements of the dosage are screwed up, hopefully not significantly. I will call FTFFA and find out if it's pure or not. I'll send you a message regarding their response DiscusRus.

Dave

RichieE
01-03-2003, 04:25 PM
I use Metronidazole pills and they almost completely disolve. I dont think its necessary that the pill dissapear for it to work. Ive used Disco Med successfully for tape worms (sorry Frank ;D) and that stuff wouldnt disolve in pure acid.
The fertilizer "pellets" you put on your lawn and many granular insectisides are only carriers for the ACTIVE INGREDENT. Its very likely these pills work the same way. Someone with a knowledge of how the drugs are made can confirm this. Rich

01-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Ok...this should do it..From the PDR here's the solubility of Metronidazole.

**Metronidazole has a molecular weight of 171.16. It is a white to pale yellow crystalline powder. It is slightly soluble in alcohol and has a solubility in water of 10 mg/mL at 20°C. Metronidazole is a member of the imidazole class of anti-bacterial agents and is classified as an antiprotozoal and anti-bacterial agent.**

To compare...salt. NaCl has a solubility of 0.357 mg/ml of water at 20 C. So, in summary ::) Pure metro is more soluble that salt.

The defense rests! :P

01-03-2003, 04:39 PM
If the translation of that stuff means that the white powder sitting on my tank bottom is tablet binder then I say YOU DA MAN DiscusRus. It's been bugging me for awhile now but as I said, I just successfully treated a pair with these tablets so I suspected it was working properly. Thanks for the effort. That leads me to wonder why someone would use Dimetro. My understanding was that it was used in place of Metro and dissolved much easier. Given the risk of it trashing your bio I wonder why anyone would use it.

Dave

brewmaster15
01-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Guys,
theres tons of data out there on metro. It comes in both soluable and non soluble forms...

I have used pills that did go into solution better than others as well.

for some info...

http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/metronid.htm

Slightly soluble in water, in
alcohol, in acetone or in methylene
chloride; very slightly soluble in
ether.

pH of a saturated aqueous solution at 20°C
is about 6.5.

other info...

Metronidazole has a molecular weight of 171.16. It is a white to pale yellow crystalline powder. It is slightly soluble in alcohol and has a solubility in water of 10 mg/mL at 20°C.
(http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/noritate.htm)

3.4.5 Specific properties and composition

Metronidazole benzoate is used for the
suspension form of metronidazole.

Metronidazole hydrochloride is used for the
intravenous form of metronidazole.

(Reynolds, 1993)

Metronidazole hydrochloride is the soluable form.

and yes ...most formulations even the powders have binders added, often times these are sugar based.

hope this helps,

al

ps... this stuff is mae by 100's of companies in many preps. I can guaranttee that when they say its color is off white to yellowish... its isn't made the same way in all of them.

Discusgeo
01-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Guy's the only stuff I have used has been Metronidazole in powder form from the fishy farmacy in Tucson Arizona. I used the powder form and as far as I can tell it did it's job. I have also used there ParacideX that is mixed with food. I have been lucky and my Discus have never had worms that I found in my tank or seen them coming out of my fish. I can't say the pill doesn't work because it is specifically used in the pet industry on dogs and cats so I am sure it works but I have never had the opportunity to use it. It looks to me that DiscusRus has all the information out there for each and everyone of you to use at your own choice. You decide whats best for your Discus, use it and see how it performs.

redlines
01-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Bill,

Thanks for making the Metro available to us at Simply! And for all the good info.

Don_Lee
01-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Just a reminder to Brad and all other members, there are rules on this site. If you are asked to not post, don't. If you do, banning can come......

Don