PDA

View Full Version : Hardest types to breed

KEVINT
01-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Can anyone make a list of the easiest to hardest discus to breed.
Such as PB the easiest (i think) and heckels and others wilds the hardest.
Just would like to know
Or is all the same?

01-02-2003, 11:30 PM
I think you just said it all....j/k (you do have the easiest and hardest to breed, though) I hear that white fish are really hard to get the fry to attach to for because they don't darken, i guess.

allan_mark76
01-03-2003, 12:13 AM
I understand that light colored discus i.e. white diamonds are difficult to breed. Than again something easy can prove hard and vice versa. It's all upon the MOJO ! ! !

A-

01-07-2003, 12:23 PM
I believe it is a combination of water chemistry per type of fish that makes it easy or hard. I don't think color has anything to do with the diffiulty of a certain strain when breeding. It has evrything to do with slime coat. The slime coat is at it's best in soft water at 4.7--5.7 , the slime coat is at it's best. If the necessary prerequisites for water chemistry are met, it is harder for the fish not to breed!

Parenting enters the picture as well. I have seen a very white fish have the fry attach with no problem. Then seen others not attach well at all. Red marlboros are darkly colored fish and then the fry do not attach so there are huge wholes in this coloration theory. Sometimes after a few spawns there is no problem. If it is an ongoing problem,, then I recommend lowering the water level to half, put newspaper on the front and sides to the top of the now lowered water level and placing a night light in one corner. The fry will be attracted to the light and hopefully the parents will too.

Once the egg sacks are devoured by the wrigglers, they become free swimming. at this point in time, they either attach or die in a very short period of time.

Let's not propogate the old myths! ;D Joe