PDA

View Full Version : Tapeworm or what?

roger
01-03-2003, 01:38 AM
Well I finally have what I think is my 1st sick discus.

This pair has been acting "lazy" lately so I have been paying closer attention to them. When I went to make the water change I was shocked to see this long whitish thing coming out of one of them.

Any help identifying this would be appreciated. I have 2 possible thoughts.. Tapeworm or maybe hex. Unfortunately it takes 2 different meds.. 1st treatment will be in the morning.

Ill post 2 pics to dry and give everyone a good look at it.

roger
01-03-2003, 01:40 AM
Heres the 2nd picture, which is the original size picture just cropped to that region. The 1st pick I had to reduce in size.

Peace,
Roger

fcdiscus
01-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Sorry, I cannot really tell by the picture- but if it is segmented it is tapeworm. Frank

roger
01-03-2003, 01:48 AM
I want to say that it looks to be round and transloucent though not completeley so. It also looks like there is a head on the end of it as well, but thats because it narrows out towards the end then widens, almost like how a drip forms.

fcdiscus
01-03-2003, 01:50 AM
Are they eating well? Could just be something she ate. Frank

roger
01-03-2003, 02:02 AM
The eating is real hard to tell, they are about 4-4.5 inches in size and lately it doesnt look like the eat with as much enthusiasm. But the food is usually gone an hour late when I check in on them. But I usually only see the blue one eating at all.

fcdiscus
01-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Well, If that is a smooth white feces, it is probably Hex. Raise your water temp. to 92-94, and use Metro, or wait a day and see if you see some improvement. I would treat ASAP. If it is Hex, the faster you nip it the better. Frank

roger
01-03-2003, 02:46 AM
If its feces it should drop off after a certain time shouldnt it?

Im guessing that if I get up in the morning and its still there that feces would have dropped off sometime during the night.

Guess Ill see what the morning brings and go from there.

Peace,
Roger

01-03-2003, 03:06 AM
Maybe he's just really well endowed.

fcdiscus
01-03-2003, 04:19 AM
;D ;D ;D

daninthesand
01-03-2003, 04:21 AM
Looks like a tapeworm to me, based on size and colour, but you cannot see the segments in the picture. Take a look at these pictures from Al (brewmaster)and compare them with what you see hanging out of your fish. In Al's pix you can clearly see the segments.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1024;st art=0

Also in that post , Al gives a few links that deal with tapeworms and their treatment.

HTH

Daniel

roger
01-03-2003, 08:40 AM
I forgot just how gross the pictures of tapeworms could be. Glad I hadnt just eaten.

Well whatever it is is still attached/hanging on so tapeworm meds just went into the tank. All I had where fluk tabs which says it works on tapeworms as well.

Ill let everyone know how it goes

Peace,
Roger

brewmaster15
01-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Hi Roger,
Fluke tabs won't help out there much I m afraid. Its either hex, or tape worms. But i can't see the segments in the pic. Do yourself a favor.. it sounds gross ..but net and see if its slimy and kind of elasticy ( hex) or breaks along a clean line segmented. The segments are usually very visible. and in tape worms... they are usually almost ribbon like, where as in hex they are round.

For tape worms ...prazi .... try Barry at billman@citynet.net. in 24 hours or less of treatment you'll have your answer.

good luck,
al

roger
01-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Well, I have to go to work so that poking around will get to wait 8 hours. Though in the meantime I can order the prazi

Thanks All,

Roger