PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Cones

MandyandDon
01-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Where can I purchase a breeding cone? Are some better than others?

01-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Hi Mandy and Don, Welcome to Simply Discus!!!!!
You can use a flower pot placed upside down or make one out of PVC pipe....It you want to buy one check on Aqua Bid.

Your fish will spawn on pretty much anything including the glass on the side and bottom of the tank, so it is pretty much personal preference

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?breeding&1041819601

HTH Randy

jeep
01-03-2003, 08:42 PM
I use 2 1/2" balck PVC glued to a tile.

If you want ceramic, go with a flower pot or check out this thread

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=3874

peety
01-03-2003, 08:57 PM
I tried a combination of cone, pot and pvc pipe in my tanks... My cone is plastic with stipple finish. They preferred the cone. I think its because of the angle, they swim around it and up it easily. The pot rated next. and the PVC pipe last. But I also had some layings on the side of the glass, and fry were moved from the cone to the PVC.... who knows ??? i would just use a pot now if i had a choice.... about $2 compared to $20

:)

jeep
01-03-2003, 09:27 PM
I cut my PVC at about a 15 degree angle, glued it to a 4" tile, filled it with sand and glued a cap on it. All for around .75 cents.

I've also seen people use 4" PVC in the same manor, except you may double your cost. ;D ;D ;D

limige
01-04-2003, 02:28 AM
i use 4" pvc myself...i've tried flower pots and my female didn't want anything to do with it...never had one spawn on glass yet...they do seem to like lift tubes for the filter though. heaters sometimes as well.

try a few, flower pot or cone from that pottery place or pvc pipe
heres a link for the cones
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=3873

Discusgeo
01-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Here is what I use made out of PVC. This one is from 1 1/2" PVC, I then get what's called a test plug that fits on the bottom and I use aquarium sealant to hold it in place. Once cured I can then add gravel thru the top and fill the tube half way up to keep it steady in the tank. The top cap is just pushed on and can be removed at any time.
George

peety
01-04-2003, 05:04 PM
Jeep,
Good idea on the angle, never thought of that. I have 2 PVC tubes, so I'll recut one and see how that goes as well. :) :)

peet

roger
01-04-2003, 05:18 PM
All the best intentions in the world and your fish will find the spot that suites them the most.

Ive had one pair use the flower pot and another pair use the filter pipe for my fluval. They liked the fluval so much over everything else that I had to wrap a plastic plant around it. This time the seem to be going for the PVC ..

So dispite your best efforts your fish may use something you absolutely dont want them to use :)

Peace,
Roger

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-04-2003, 05:56 PM
I have used all the above, and still do, but my fish seem to like a piece of slate leaning on the front glass so that when they are spawning they are actually behind the slate, which gives them a little securety.
Dennis

MandyandDon
01-04-2003, 10:42 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. I woke up this morning and found eggs on the heater so I guess I was too late. Oh well, there's always next time. Thanks, again.

jeep
01-04-2003, 10:44 PM
By the way, I have to correct myself. My PVC is 1 1/2" not 2 1/2".