PDA

View Full Version : Kent pH Control Minus

espitzer
01-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Hi. I'm new to this site, so if people have already responded to this, my apologies (I searched and didn't see anything). I've been experimenting with ways to get my pH and KH into a good range in preparation for purchasing some discus.

My water is 7.2 out of the tap (well water) but goes up to about 8 within a day. The KH out of the tap is 13. The water goes through a water softener, so the GH is very low (about 1-2).

I tried Discus Buffer and Neutral Regulator, but because of the high KH, the pH rose back up after about a day.

I have most recently tried Kent pH Control Minus, which I believe contains a form of sulfuric acid. What I'm finding is that 1 tsp is lowering the pH to about 6.2-6.3 and the KH down to about 5-6 and it appears to be stable.

I'm wondering if others have successfully used this product. Thanks for your help.

Eric

Carol_Roberts
01-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Read thru this section - we've discussed it many times.

For juveniles discus just use your straight tap water that has been aerated or agitated long enough to raise the pH so it matches your tank water. I raise mine in 7.8pH and GH 11

Carol :heart1:

dm
01-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Carol makes good sense. Just go with what you have now and start reading and reading. You will learn exactly what you need to do before it is time to make any changes to your water. Don't make the mistake of trying to make changes you don't need. It can be very detrimental to your fish. Keep it simple and keep it consistant and your Discus will be happy.

fcdiscus
01-05-2003, 06:42 PM
You aren't the attorney general for NY are you? Frank

espitzer
01-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.

No, I'm not the attorney general. He may be a very distant relative (not sure).