PDA

View Full Version : Taking Decent Photos

WrxAnt
01-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Guys,

Having a little trouble taking photos.
I've got a Kodak DC3800.

Auto exposure 2.1 Megapixel with flash.

No matter what I do with flash I end up with over exposed fish.

Without flash the shutter is too slow and I get blur.

I have a 8W Blub (Not tube) Flouro over my 30x18x14 tank without a reflector...

Is more light needed? Should I borrow the flouro off my 36" tank just for taking some photos?

Now I have a nice Canon - 35mm camera but the pain of taking the photos developing scanning is something I'm over doing...

I would love to post some photos of my latest additions a pair of Blue Diamons and a pair of Red Fine Line Snakeskins....

They are still developing colours and they are becoming more socialable each day!

I love them!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ant

dm
01-06-2003, 08:42 AM
This is a good question. It is hard to get great pics but without proper lighing it is next to imposible. I have been trying to get decent pics for a while now and have only had success when the lighting has been enough.

01-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Hi Ant. If your pictures are over exposed after you take a picture, then you do not need the flash on.

I personally do not like "Auto focus", therefore I adjust the the focus myself on the object, right before I snap the picture. (with it on, I also sometimes get blurry pictures)

Make sure you are at least 4 feet away from your tank when you snap the picture, and just try really hard to be still, then quickly hit the button to take your picture. If you are too close, then it doesn't matter what you do, they will come out blurry. I don't know if you have a preview window, to see your picture before you take it, but mine does and this is how I judge my focus and lighting before I take it.

Read up on your manual for the shutter speed and play around with taking pictures until you find what works best for you. Also, if you take a picture from an angle, you will avoid the glare from the glass.

Practice, practice, practice makes perfect, so just keep trying. It is hard to take good pictures inside of a tank, and the best way to achieve it is by taking millions of pictures and deleting them until you have figured out how to work with your camera. I have to be very still and quickly snap, then I have to continue to be still while it is processing (takes about 3-4 seconds) then I am ready to take the next picture. I can easily snap 75 photos and only get 2 or 3 good photos. Everytime I do though, I learn how to use my camera a little better. So, go wild - time = experience = good!!!! ... and read you manual, cause it will teach you everything you need to know about your kodak!!!!

Weezy ;D

Jeff
01-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Ant,

If it is overexposed try putting your finger or some colored tape over the flash. It works for me. ;D

WrxAnt
01-06-2003, 10:26 PM
MMM I've been trying to take pics from 1 ft away.... LOL

I think I'll up the lighting on the tank and stand back more and rip off 50shots and see what I get...

Might even get out the tripod!

Maybe if I stand further back on the angle with flash I might get less over exposure occuring...

Unfortunately automatic aperature and timing is what this camera has. I love my 35mm as I can do anything just can't preview, review delete and retake instantly at no cost!!!

Thanks for the suggestisons guys.

Cheers
Antony

RAWesolowski
01-07-2003, 03:30 AM
Ant,

Gipper takes some great shots by placing his flash directly over the tank and to get a halo effect. Unfortunately your did\gital camera and mine do not have the "hot shoe" to remotely position a flash.

I would use supplementary light, a flourescent fixture from your other tank to boost internal light. You should be able to do without the flash. The colors will appear much closer to natural.

You may be surprised at the change you can effect using a canned program like PhotoShop that is bundled with Microsoft Office. I play with the balance and contrast to "tune" pictures.

01-07-2003, 09:29 AM
I think you nailed it!!! (you were too close).... and if you do angle your camera with the flash, you will avoid that glare! I stand at least 4 to 10 feet away and zoom into my object and I don't need the extra lighting.

Gipper takes very nice pictures, but he has a 3000 dollar camera................ so unless your camera compares to this quality, you will never achieve that special effect that he has become famous for.

I was actually 8 feet away when I took this picture (kneeling on the floor and angled the camera up) and all I did was use zoom with the flash. I turned on the lights in the room and the tank only. The color of my fish is exactly what is shown in this picture. That was from using no photo editing program to manipulate coloring. If your lighting is good, you will achieve those colors. Just make sure that your color saturation, contrast, etc. is set at "normal" in your camera, this should balance the color of the image for you so you achieve that true color.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/brown2.jpg

Weezy ;D

01-07-2003, 09:37 AM
Anthony,

The Tripod too is an excellent idea. I have used mine with great results.

Julz :)

Francisco_Borrero
01-07-2003, 10:58 AM
I believe there are many approaches that end in good pictures.
Gipper's is one (I don't even know what it is).
Weeze's is another, described above- great shots.
I am sure there are others.

I have had some recent success with my digital, only the tank lights, no flash, that is, I turn off the built-in flash. Distance from the glass varies with the intent, anywhere from a few inches to a couple of feet. Apparently it works reasonably well with either light or dark tank background, but I prefer light background. I have not used a tripod, but probably would if I needed greater detail than what I have done so far. It works better for me if I should at straight angle from the tank, both horizontally and vertically.

Practice makes better. With digitals it is great because you see the results inmediately and can delete the bad ones without incurring in expense.

Good luck, Francisco.

hunterbeav
01-10-2003, 02:19 AM
Great pic Wheezy :) Wow

Gipper
01-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Weez gives some great advice, especially about the autofocus and backing up a bit. My camera likes to focus on the glass and not the fish so I have to manual focus. A nice fast shutter speed will also help eliminate any blur, if your camera has a sports mode you could try that since it will give you the fastest shutter speed the lighting will allow. Here is an example of what can be done if you can move the flash off the camera.

Gipper

Gipper
01-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Here is another pic of moving the flash off camera.

Gipper

Ralph
01-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Gipper and Weezy, I was impressed with your photos before I got my camera. Now I am amazed, it is much harder than I thouhgt.

01-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Gipper is one of the best!!!! I just love his pictures!!!! They are so beautiful!!! Thanks Gip ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

your friend, Weezy :o