PDA

View Full Version : Male eating eggs.

Ashish
01-06-2003, 01:02 PM
I have a healthy pair of discus and they both get along very well untill they are ready to spawn , male is 1.5 yrs old and fem is 1.2 yrs old and they have till now given 9 to 10 times eggs but none of them were successful . Either the male eats all the eggs or the eggs turn white.Female is always willing and ready to give and fertiliz eggs every 7 to 10 days but the male just ignores her when she is laying eggs and soon after she is done he comes to eat them and the female protects the eggs by fighting with the male. I have tried replacing the male but then the female doesnt lay the eggs .

peety
01-06-2003, 04:18 PM
I had a female pb that pestered a male the same way. He ate the eggs everytime. He eventually left her for a brown and has settled down quite nicely and the new pair have got to fry stage a few times now. True love? ;D ;D ;)

peety

EthanCote.com
01-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Hi Ashish,

I do not have any personal experiencing with a breeding pair since mine is still just in the process of pairing up.

But from what I have heard, it is usually worms in their stomach that cause them to eat their eggs. Try adding some rock salt into the tank for the male to chew on. Perhaps that will help relieve their tummy from the constant craving of the worm for food.

Also the rock salt will not harm your Discus nor cause any stress so its a pretty safe way of medicating.

Aside from that perhaps its the physical environment itself that is causing the male to behave that way? What is the water parameters? What is in the tank. Is the tank located in a noisy location? What are you feeding them? I have also heard that pH plays an important part in breeding. And also different strain requires different pH setting for proper breeding. Sorry I do not have the pH setting to help ya out. I'm sure someone will help you out with this.

What kind of strain are they? Male normally takes a bit longer to mature. Reaching maturity also depends on strain types.

Perhaps other can shed some light into this subject. I wish you luck.

Cheers,

Chi.

jeep
01-06-2003, 06:17 PM
I have a similar problem with one of my males. I have a feeling he's ruined as a breeder because I did nothing about it other than to de-worm. De-worming is an excellent idea.

I wouldn't let him at any eggs for awhile or else he could become addicted to them like mine.

Chi is correct about the age. I've seen some males produce at 8 months of age and others never get it.

Or, be patient. He may get it right (Frank's famous words ;D ;D (kidding)

P.S. I don't believe my pair ever formed a true bond. I saw a female lay eggs and a male eat them, so I separated them. Do you have another female to experiment with? Maybe place another male and or female in there and let them compete...

arpanlib
01-07-2003, 01:10 PM
hi ashish,
welcome to the board.

just be paitent.
what are the water parameters???

will let you more after you let us know the water parameters.

what kind of pair is it???

arpanlib

arpanlib
01-09-2003, 11:38 AM
hi ashish,
not heard from you since your last post.

what strain is it?? are they better now.

are you thinking of selling your discus??? sell them to me ;D

arpanlib

Ashish
01-10-2003, 02:05 AM
No arPan I woNt sell Them ;) . Ok about the strains well the male is a red turquoise and the female is blue turquoise. and about the water parameter well never have i checked it , i use direct aged muncipal tap water and i think that wont harm the discus pair as my freinds discus have breed and rared discus in the same water condition and they are doing absolutely great . Sorry for the late reply .

Regards ,
Ashish.