PDA

View Full Version : male stopped fertilizing

ferrax
01-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Hi my pair has spawned about 15 times now and only pnce did some of the eggs hatch. I was fortunate to witness the last few spawns and what happend was that the male did everything like usual ( mating bow, intense colouring, cleaning etc..) he seemed very willing to spawn but when the female started tõ lay the eggs the male instead of making his pass to fertilize them he would just look at them closely , he waited until the female layed all the eggs and then started to show a slight aggression and preceded to eat them. Seemed like he was unhappy with something maybe angry at the female.

I started to thinking it could be water quality but after what i experienced today i am starting to think otherwise. I have been doing daily 40% W/C for the last week with aged water so water quality is not the problem, they spawned again today and i saw the whole thing, i noticed prior to the actual egg laying( when she makes the test runs) that when the female tested an area on the glass away from where the male was cleaning, he would imediatley nudge her on the side to get her to go where he was cleaning. When she did it where he was at he would align himself with her waiting to see the eggs being layed, they did this for a while untile she finally decide to lay where the male didnīt want, and so he ate them

could it be possible that the male wont do his job because he canīt get the female to lay on the spot he chose?

BlueTurquoise
01-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Could be... You mentioned that they lay on glass? why don't you buy a terracotta flower pot and place it unsidedown in the tank. It may narrow down the area that they "preffer" to lay so maybe they will more likely to agree on a spot?

just a suggestion...
Chong

ferrax
01-07-2003, 05:49 AM
I have a cone in the tank

the eggs have always been layed there, this is the first time they did it on the glass