PDA

View Full Version : Black eyed and slim

RichieE
01-08-2003, 12:45 PM
I could use some help. I have two cobalt blues that Ive had for six months. They eat ok but have black eyes ,are a little thin, and their growth has slowed down. When I first turn the lights on they have nice red eyes. Their eyes will also get red if they are fighting for some food. They have been through treatments for flukes and tapeworms. Water parameters are ok and other fish in the tank are fine.
Both of these guys looked great when I got them so its likely something they picked up at my place. There are no other symptoms that I can see. Thanks Rich

fcdiscus
01-08-2003, 06:20 PM
I read this before Rich, and have been thinking about it for a while, but I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is maybe they are old fish. Sorry! :-\ Frank

Carol_Roberts
01-08-2003, 10:00 PM
So, have you tried a course of metronidazole? Black eyes and thin mean they don't feel good. :-\
Carol :heart1:

RichieE
01-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Thanks for tossing it around for a while Frank. Im a little stumpped here myself. I had one fish I had to cull about three months back that wouldnt shape up no matter what I hit him with. This is how he started out. It was a long slow decline. I cant believe the amount of Meds that fish was able to deal with. The Cobalts are from a different source.
These two are also starting to look a little arrow shaped. Do you think that could be a result of the problem I'm haveing or is it more likely in the genes.

Carol, I was thinking along the same lines as you. I noticed some white slimey feces in the tank they are in besides. ( 20 fish so im not sure who it came from) I'm nearing the end of a treatment of CBW's soaked in Metro. No more slimeys but the blues look the same. Im not ready to panic yet but I guess my nextl question is if a fish is slowly wasteing away what would be the most likely causes? Rich

Carol_Roberts
01-09-2003, 02:21 PM
I don't know how much metro cbw soak up :-\ Try it in the water or a gel based food.
Carol :heart1:

fcdiscus
01-09-2003, 03:14 PM
I would agree with Carol. From what you say in your last post, It could be Hex. That will make the fish do what you say. Try the heat and Metro in water, and keep up the Metro in the CBW's too! Frankj

RichieE
01-09-2003, 03:51 PM
I'll move them and start tonight. Thanks Carrol and Frank.